Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardboe
    • Jul 2006

VHS to DVD converting

I am sure its been asked before but I never saw it in a search. Anyhow, whats the details of what I need in my computer to convert VHS tape to DVD via the computer. Do I need a special computer card to plug either the camcorder or VHS player into the computer? Once I can get the video into the HD I can figure out from there how to turn it into a DVD.

Thanks for any help!
  • MikeyBK
    Digital Video Maniac
    • Feb 2006

You'll need a PCI capture card. You can also use a USB connected capture device as well.
    MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
    Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
    ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
    XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
    Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
    Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
    *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
    *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• villamanila
      • Oct 2006

connecting cables

hi, Milky
      what kind of cables and terminals are required for the connection between the VHS player and the PCI Card or the USB connected devices?(firewire, SCART, Video and Audio jacks)

thanks a bunch.

Comment

• richardboe
        • Jul 2006

MikeyBK, any specific brands I should look for in the way of a PCI capture card? Checked Newegg and nothing comes up in search for PCI capture card. Hope you don't mean WINTV card! I have friends out of state that had nothing but problems with those cards.

Rich

Comment

• DVF66
          • Aug 2006

Richardboe, Villamanila, I bought this PCI turner card long ago. I believe it can be used to convert VHS to DVD but I haven't tried it because it is not why I bought it (using to watch tv on computer).

Here is the link of the one I bought. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815100113

It is ok but not that good. Search to get a better one. This is just an ideal.

Richard, if you want to search in newegg. Go to Home > Categories > Video Devices & TV Tuners . Good lucks
          Last edited by DVF66; 31 Oct 2006, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• MikeyBK
            Digital Video Maniac
            • Feb 2006

You can get whichever capture card you'd like. You can either connect your VCR to the capture card via composite cables, or directly with coaxil cable (you know like you would to a TV connection...cable to VCR...VCR on channel 3....VCR to Capture Card.)

This is from my learning curve...

And yes I personally, have a WinTV PVR 150 and it works great for me now. I had to go thru a little trial and error to get it tweaked, as you can see from that thread, but I like my results now.

You could go for more expensive cards to help any quality issues you might encounter, but that would be specific to your PCs power/performance.
            Mine is pretty decent powered.
            MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• RFBurns
              To Infinity And Byond
              • May 2006

Best solution for getting VHS to a DVD is to use a stand alone DVD recorder and then take that resulting DVD into the PC if you wanted to create special menus etc. Keeps the losses down to a minimum so that the end result is as clean/sharp a transfer as possible.

Also, unless the capture card specifies that it can create DVD mpeg compliant files, your going to have to go through another process to turn those captured files into the DVD compliant file format. Loss in video quality may be encountered.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• MikeyBK
                Digital Video Maniac
                • Feb 2006

Hey there SonyMan, How's it hangin'

How about Macrovision protection and if you'd like to cut out certain things?
                I think I've heard of a hacked LiteOn Recorder that can by-pass Macrovision, otherwise wouldn't you need something like Dimax RedPro or Sima?
                MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• Steve83
                  Bronco Guru
                  • May 2006

Every aspect of this process is explained here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/
                  Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!

Comment

• RFBurns
                    To Infinity And Byond
                    • May 2006

Originally Posted by MikeyBK
                    Hey there SonyMan, How's it hangin'

How about Macrovision protection and if you'd like to cut out certain things?
                    I think I've heard of a hacked LiteOn Recorder that can by-pass Macrovision, otherwise wouldn't you need something like Dimax RedPro or Sima?

Doing well, thank you!

Yes if you use a stand alone DVD recorder, you will need something like the Sima unit to remove the macorvision from the video. That way the vob files created by the stand alone DVD recorder will be macrovision free. Your end results will also be sharper, cleaner video because the Sima unit has some neat little circuits inside that help clean up noisy VHS sources. And it is far better results than capturing via PC.

Then you can take that DVD disc and edit away in the PC with the purest video possible directly from the vob files on that disc, keeping from having to convert once again avi or fvi or whatever files the capture card makes. Any file format conversions you go through does in fact introduce and take away purity of the video, especially if you have to do pull-down or resolution conversion.

Hope it all goes well for you!

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...