Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordoeuf
    • Dec 2001

Some very basic questions...

I have some very basic/stupid questions. I was considering buying a dvd player and a new video card. I have an all scsi system, so I was going to purchase the Toshiba SD-M1401 10X dvd drive, and the Asus V8200 GeForce3 Deluxe card.
    I am using WinNT 4.0(sp6) with a Dell Precision 410 Workstation. Dual PII 400 (Intel), PC100 512MB RAM. I want the Asus card because of the S-video IN and S-video OUT jacks.

1) Will I need anything special to play the DVD movies on the computer? Such as additional software from what the dvd-rom comes with and from what the asus card comes with?

2) Will I need additional hardware to play the dvd movies, such as a decoder card? Or will the Asus have that built in? Or will the software decoder be sufficient?

3) If I do need a special decoder card, is there one that has all of the features of the Asus V8200 Deluxe also? I would like to avoid having an additional pci card in there.

The Asus comes with Ulead VideoStudio and ASUS Video Capture Graphics if that means anything to anyone.

4) As far as decoding the dvd and encoding it to a smaller avi file, I assume FlaskMpeg (something like that) will be sufficient?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Website for the Toshiba scsi dvd drive:

Website for the Asus card:
  • 1 Smelly Fish
    • Nov 2001

Hi there lordoeuf you sound like you know a bit about what your doing I bought my DVD Rom and it didnt come with any software or drivers at all. I purchased Power DVD or you can use another dvd playing program such as Win DVD. I also downloaded the right drivers for my ROM. If you havent already checked out this site it is definately worth a quick look.

Video forums, video software downloads, guides, blu-ray players and media.

Cheers

Comment

Working...