Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • booly
    • Mar 2002

Pixelated recordings in miniDV

I woud like to ask if anyone understands the problem I am experiencing.

I am getting several stripes across the screen which are failing to present the current image but instead are stuck with the previous image of about 20 frames previous, these bars disappear for a few frames and then return in cycles of 3 followed by a bigger gap of about 1 second and then another 3 bar episodes etc incessantly.

I have just switched to a new brand of MiniDV tape (JVC) from BASF which worked fine in my Canon XM1. I found that the recording continues to be pixelated with these bars etc if I attempt to record additional material on the same time code. But if I move ahead and then record in the same tape starting from a zero time code then I get no pixel effect, so its not that the camera is broken. I also have no problem recording to BASF.

If it is the time code what can I do about it ? Does it mean that I have to use different tapes or will it work if I just use SP as opposed to LP or will the zero time code menu option on the Canon fix the problem.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
  • booly
    • Mar 2002

strange

I have tried again and found that the issue is VCR mode related as the recordings are intact but it was the playback with was faulty. Hence it may have been an over hot chip or incorrectly placed head as now I am able to play back the same recordings on the same machine and they are perfectly good.

Comment

• booly
      • Mar 2002

it gets worse

now there are sections of tape I cant capture because the timecode is running in odd sequences eg 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,7,8,7,8,7,8,7,8,7,8,19,20,21,22... .etc and its different if you play it backwards in Adobe Pr6 as it will go 9,8,9,8 instead of 7,8 which indicates a byte sign change or something, I am at a bit of a loss

I have no idea what is going on here only that its something about JVC miniDV tapes and Canon DMXM1 cameras since the BASF tapes I have do nothing like this.

any insights please ?? I am pretty desperate.

I am v poor since I am convalescing from illness but I have invested in about £100 of tape stock which I am just going to have to bin

maybe I should get onto the consumer protection people

Comment

Working...