• Show
Clear All
  • Carlos Menem
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Feb 2002

Need better then DV to inmortalize my tapes

Hi I am Fernando Martinez...

I recorded from a tape to a DV file. I used Studio9 to view my recorded DV file on the TV. I wanted to compare same scene both on the tape and the dv, so I first put the tape in the scene I wanted to compare and press stop then went to the same time on the dv. I then pressed play on the tape and view it for 5 seconds looking at the details, then viewed the dv file on the same tv for 5 seconds and it was clear there was some detail lose, it wasn't exactly as on the tape even though I was using UHF for the TV and s-video for the canopus input... the tape is only VHS.
    Does anyone know a better codec or method to transfer my tapes to the computer having all the details?
    me gusta la coca cola con ron
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Yes. If you want no-loss capture preserving detail, and you have the HD space to do it, capture with no compression. Then bump those uncompressed video files thru a DVD creation program and u should end up with very clean exact replicas of the original.

Keep in mind tho, you are going from the analog world to a digital world, which digital does not discriminate against analog source noises and distortions, and will capture any and all of that. Hopefully your VHS sources are as noise free as possible.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

capture with no compression
      or with a lossless codec if your PC can handle it. huffyuv works rather well on old systems

@carlos: i hope these are precious home movies you're transferring, and not something you can get for $15 on DVD. there really shouldn't be noticeable difference between uncompressed and DV, considering the source material. placebo effect i think
      Last edited by anonymez; 22 Dec 2006, 11:14 AM.
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Carlos Menem
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Feb 2002

@carlos: i hope these are precious home movies you're transferring, and not something you can get for $15 on DVD. there really shouldn't be noticeable difference between uncompressed and DV, considering the source material. placebo effect i think
        1) You think I'm stupid?... don't answer.
        2) We'll see about that
        Last edited by Carlos Menem; 7 Oct 2008, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

You could take them to Wal-Mart and have them put on DVD for $15 or so a tape
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• Carlos Menem
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Feb 2002

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
            You could take them to Wal-Mart and have them put on DVD for $15 or so a tape
            I can not control the quality and volume and everything that way... they'll watch my personal videos and they will want to charge me to redo it! malo malo malo you still haven't said to me what hufuv card is best.
            Last edited by Carlos Menem; 30 Dec 2006, 01:56 AM.

Comment

• Carlos Menem
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Feb 2002

Originally Posted by RFBurns
              Yes. If you want no-loss capture preserving detail, and you have the HD space to do it, capture with no compression. Then bump those uncompressed video files thru a DVD creation program and u should end up with very clean exact replicas of the original.

Keep in mind tho, you are going from the analog world to a digital world, which digital does not discriminate against analog source noises and distortions, and will capture any and all of that. Hopefully your VHS sources are as noise free as possible.

Buddy one question you.... say analog to digital causes noises on the digital if the analog is unstable but what if analog to analog like VCR audio output to TAPE recorder? will the tape contain noise clicks and everything?

Comment

Working...