will upscaling dvd players work with backed up discs region 0?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jammiev
    • Jul 2005

will upscaling dvd players work with backed up discs region 0?

hi, i am thinking of buying a dvd player which will upscale standard dvd's to 720p/ 1080i.
    will this work on dvd's i have backed up using dvd shrink region 0?
    aslo; i know it is different for region 1 NTSC and region 2 PAL so will my backed up dvd's region 0 be Pal or ntsc?
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Howdy!

Well the region setting of "0" is region free, meaning it dont matter if its going to be played in region 1 or region 2.

The key is the player. There are some players that can play back the 25fps PAL standard as well as the 30fps NTSC standard and not have a problem.

As to the upscaling, well your taking backups of originals that probably are compressed if you backed up to single layer DVD blanks (4.7Gb). If that is the case, sure it will upscale the backups, but your going to see some compression artifacts in the picture. It is like taking a 320x480 jpeg and bumping that up to 1024x768 or higher. What happens is instead of a nice clean upscale, you get a pixilated jpeg, in the case of the DVD, you get pixilated video. Perhaps the player might have some filtering that might smooth this out a bit, but I wouldnt expect it like it would be if you just played the original discs in the upscaling player.

If you backed up to dual layer DVD blanks, and did not use any compression during the backup, it should be ok on the upscaling as if you had the original DVD in the player.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...