• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos Menem
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Feb 2002

Best S-VHSC camcorder I can get?

my s-vhsc camcorder is loosing quality and I need a good replace in order to continue transferring all my vhs-c et tapes the best I can.
    me gusta la coca cola con ron
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

You could try using a svhs-c adaptor that is meant to take the small vhs-c tape and work in the standard vhs machine. Be easier, and cheaper than trying to find a machine that is probably going to be used anyway and have as much if not more head wear and component wear.

Find a new cheap standard vhs machine and a vhs-c adaptor module and dub away!

vhs-c adaptor

Last edited by RFBurns; 11 Jan 2007, 04:21 AM.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• Carlos Menem
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Feb 2002

Originally Posted by RFBurns
      You could try using a svhs-c adaptor that is meant to take the small vhs-c tape and work in the standard vhs machine. Be easier, and cheaper than trying to find a machine that is probably going to be used anyway and have as much if not more head wear and component wear.

Find a new cheap standard vhs machine and a vhs-c adaptor module and dub away!

vhs-c adaptor

No! VCR can't play VHS-C tapes well... the information stored on these tapes play at a different rate then VCR tapes. I need moire information.

Comment

• RFBurns
        To Infinity And Byond
        • May 2006

Originally Posted by Carlos Menem
        No! VCR can't play VHS-C tapes well... the information stored on these tapes play at a different rate then VCR tapes. I need moire information.

These will....

Find great deals on Svhs player VCRs, including discounts on the "Sawtooth Tribe Series 8"" Hand-Carved Unity Design Rope Djembe".

Ive got the JVC HR-S5902 along with an adaptor for vhs-c which works the s-vhs-c tape just fine, and the machine plays back the tape perfectly, a bit better in quality than my camcorder did.

But if its camcorder you want, there are some of those out there too. I provided the info in case you ran into a hord of used svhs-c camcorders that may have more use hours on them than yours. Remember, the svhs format is old, but you might get lucky and find one that sat in some warehouse still wrapped up in its box. But those too can have problems by sitting so long. Lubricants in the mechanism dry up, capacitors in the power supply and other circuits also dry up.

Good luck!

Last edited by RFBurns; 11 Jan 2007, 04:52 AM.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• Carlos Menem
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Feb 2002

These will....

Find great deals on Svhs player VCRs, including discounts on the "Sawtooth Tribe Series 8"" Hand-Carved Unity Design Rope Djembe".

Ive got the JVC HR-S5902 along with an adaptor for vhs-c which works the s-vhs-c tape just fine, and the machine plays back the tape perfectly, a bit better in quality than my camcorder did.

But if its camcorder you want, there are some of those out there too. I provided the info in case you ran into a hord of used svhs-c camcorders that may have more use hours on them than yours. Remember, the svhs format is old, but you might get lucky and find one that sat in some warehouse still wrapped up in its box. But those too can have problems by sitting so long. Lubricants in the mechanism dry up, capacitors in the power supply and other circuits also dry up.

Good luck!

What's so special about these new vcrs? do they TBC? many of my vhs-c cause these problems. What has this VCR then don't have my SLV-r1000, SVO-2000 and AG-1980? What's so special about the SR-S365U that cost about 1000$? it doesn't have TBC neither.

Comment

• RFBurns
            To Infinity And Byond
            • May 2006

What's so special about these new vcrs? do they TBC? many of my vhs-c cause these problems. What has this VCR then don't have my SLV-r1000, SVO-2000 and AG-1980? What's so special about the SR-S365U that cost about 1000$? it doesn't have TBC neither.
            There is nothing special about them. The goal I think is to have a machine that will play your source tapes with the best quality you can get.

Since your camcorder is about to take a dive, and the chances of finding a camcorder that would be good enough to do the transfers is a 50/50 chance, why risk the project on a used camcorder that might have worse quality than your camcorder?

The new machines are just that, brand new, meaning they dont have any hours of use on them, and they dont have any degridating components due to age. They are new.

As to TBC, there are machines that sport the external sync reference input. But your not going to find those at a consumer electronic store. Those units are found at broadcast equipment suppliers and usually sell for about 8 grand or more.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• Carlos Menem
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Feb 2002

BUY NEW VCR
              What! now best quality video also mean that the VCR had to be new in the first place? Is there anything my VCRs can do? Do I need a ref sync input to have a free timecode and shaking problem transferred to my DV or Hyffyuv card?

Are you saying my AG-1980 still will produce timebase problems because it doesn't have that feature?

I read the ADVC1000 and is almost 2000$ and has that feature is it good enough?

If buy a good new jvc vcr was the key then why did I heard slv-r1000 or ag-1980? only because of the tbc? and history of image quality not that they can still keep up?

Note that I don't want crappy quality with no TBC problems or Good quality with TBC problems with I'm having now basically on 1 tape. Although my 50$ VCR has almost as much quality as my slv-r1000 with APC but it has 19u head. Are these better now?
              Last edited by Carlos Menem; 13 Jan 2007, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• RFBurns
                To Infinity And Byond
                • May 2006

The AG unit will be sufficient for the project. As long as you can insert a stable sync reference with a stable color burst reference, the AG unit should produce rock solid sync no matter what video input is thrown at it.

As I explained in the other thread, the pro end units and broadcast units are extremely versitle and can be adjusted for everything it can do.

If your looking for top notch results, it cannot be done cheap. Meaning if you want the results of a professional production house, you have to have the gear to do it. Its like looking at 3 models of the same car. One is the fastest, the next is more of a luxury but fast, and the third is your basic transportation. You certianly cannot expect Fast n Furious from the third model, nor expect comfy luxurious rides from the first model or win a race with the luxury model.

Thus, if you intend to produce something from copying over your svhs-c tapes that rival a Paramount Studio result, you wont get it from the AG. But if you want good results of the dubs, the AG unit should give you what your looking for.

The purpose of the new vcr is that it will most likely produce a better quality playback than your camcorder thats starting to show its age. Its just options for you to be able to make a choice since the point here is to find something to replace that dying camcorder, be it a stand alone svhs-c machine or another svhs-c camcorder.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• Carlos Menem
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Feb 2002

Replace your Camcorder
                  So you're saying I can't have great quality if I have TBC and viceversa...?
                  Why would I want to buy a new VCR if I already have a used AG-1980 and SLV-r1000? I thought you recommended me specific vcrs that can play vhs-c perfect as at least my slv-r1000 produce poorer results then my camcorder but I don't think the camcorder is better is just that the tapes are smaller and they don't like vcrs. Or maybe the camcorder is better... then I should throw away my used slv and start to 0... I'll confirm that when my AG comes.
                  How Do I insert stable sync on the AG shouldn't the AG take care of that automatically? Didn't you say I would need additional 8k plus $?
                  Last edited by Carlos Menem; 13 Jan 2007, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• RFBurns
                    To Infinity And Byond
                    • May 2006

Why would I want to buy a new VCR if I already have a used AG-1980 and SLV-r1000? I thought you recommended me specific vcrs that can play vhs-c perfect as at least my slv-r1000 produce poorer results then my camcorder but I don't think the camcorder is better is just that the tapes are smaller and they don't like vcrs.
                    Actually the suggestion on a new machine was to address the camcorder begining to show poor playback results. If the SLV-r1000 will play them ok, then use that. The recommendation was not intended for you to dump what you have and purchase a new machine. It was simply to give you more options to choose from.

Or maybe the camcorder is better... then I should throw away my used slv and start to 0... I'll confirm that when my AG comes.
                    How Do I insert stable sync on the AG shouldn't the AG take care of that automatically? Didn't you say I would need additional 8k plus $?

No you dont need 8K plus. Those units are intended for professional and broadcast purposes, and they have many adjustable features that the high end consumer TBC's dont have. Again it was just giving you an example between the AG unit and a professional broadcast TBC. The AG unit, if it has an input for external sync or "gen-lock", it will produce sync and color burst based on that external sync input. If you dont have an external sync reference, the AG should generate new sync and color burst "based" on the input signal sync, or your video input signal.

What that means is that the AG units output signal will have sync pulses and color burst pulses that are generated internally. Those signals are generated in reference to the video input sync and color burst.

When the AG unit sees your video source and its sync/color pulses, the AG unit's internal generators begin to produce pulses that rely on the video input signal. It takes the video input signal and seperates the video from its sync and color pulses. Then it applies those sync and color pulses to its internal generators. The generators then make new sync pulses and color burst pulses from the old signals and then the AG unit puts the new sync and color signals back together with the video. The output is a new compile of the video and newly generated pulses.

If you apply an external sync and color burst signal, the AG unit takes the incomming video, seperates the old sync and color from that video, and then applies the new generated pulses that rely on the external sync pulses instead of the video sync pulses. The AG unit then re-assembles the video to the new sync and color pulses.

The advantage of having external sync is that the AG unit's output will always have stable sync no matter what happens at the video input. If the AG unit must rely on the video input signal to produce the new sync pulses, then if the tape looses tracking or some other glitch that affects the sync pulses from that tape, the internal AG sync generators will also glitch because it is relying on that video input sync to make the new sync at the output.

The external sync can come from a color bar generator or even a DVD player with a disc paused anywhere as long as it is the movie part not the menu. A color bar generator is best for this, but not necessary.

A professional/broadcast TBC must have external sync applied to it or it wont function. Although most do have a bypass circuit in case the external sync fails, it will act like the AG unit and generate the pulses based on the pulses at the video input. This bypassing is one of the neat features in the pro/broadcast TBC that may or may not be present in the AG unit.

I would give your SLV-r1000 a try when the AG unit comes in. I understand that your tapes prefer the camcorder mechanism. I have encountered that in older Sony 8mm camcorders. Those older 8mm camcorders do not like 8mm tape made by another brand other than Sony.

To insert external sync to the AG unit, look for its connector labled something like "gen-loc" or "genlock" or "housesync" or something to that effect. Again use a color bar generator if you have one or a DVD movie paused in the movie itself, not the menu screen.

Hope that helps.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• Carlos Menem
                      Platinum Member
                      Platinum Member
                      • Feb 2002

-I just hope the AG has external sync ref Jack. By the way what type of Jack is it?
                      -My ADVC has color bar output when I press the AD button for 3 seconds will that work
                      or is it something else?
                      -I'm planning to use a huffyuv card with Philips 713X anyway and just in case I bought another one for testing...
                      the recommended Conexant CX2388X it has 10 bit ADC video processor so it must be something good
                      since all Philips 713X use 9bit and Bt878 use 8bit I think.
                      -My tapes are VHS-C and some ET none SVHS-C. I haven't try all VHS-C tapes on the VCR just the one that gives me TBC problems on the camcorder
                      that has TBC incorporated, however I notice a strong difference in quality when there was movement, on the VCR it looks cloudy and blocky
                      at the same scene the camcorder displays it nicely. I didn' test the rest of the footage for other comparations I didn't have the will.
                      -¿Do you think the AG-1980 will display this scene well when using the VHS-C adapter? This tape is
                      "FUJI PRO TC-30"

Comment

Working...