Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I have a 27" TV and I use RCA, sometimes Coax... I will stay far away from HD
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by anonymez
      i'll be making the switch the minute HD-DVD drives for PC become affordable... i'll bet by then decrypting them will be easy enough
      Is everything else compatible? I would need a complete new PC as nothing else I have is HDCP compatible. Apparantly, you can't juist stick the drive in and it works with HD DVD discs. The graphics card, motherboard and even the monitor using a digital connection needs to have HDCP.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

i haven't done my research on it since they are unlikely to come down in price that much, but i assumed i would be able to at least read (and decrypt) the discs, if not play/render the video
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• ajp
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally Posted by anonymez
          i'll be making the switch the minute HD-DVD drives for PC become affordable... i'll bet by then decrypting them will be easy enough

You can buy the xbox 360 drive for $175-$200 and it just connects directly to the computer via usb, no drivers needed. Then all you need is cyberlink PowerDVD 6.5, or 7.1 to play the files. I have an amd 64 3200+ and a 6600gt, I can play HD-DVD's just fine.

Copying the files to your harddrive is just as easy. you just need BackupHDDVD

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by ajp
            Copying the files to your harddrive is just as easy. you just need BackupHDDVD
            It won't work for much longer though. Once Cyberlink and Intervideo releases their update. It will plug the bug in the software and the old version will not work any longer.

Also, it only decrypt current discs. All they have to do is blacklist the current keys and issue new ones.

See my post here.

Last edited by nwg; 20 Jan 2007, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• ajp
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally Posted by nwg
              Is everything else compatible? I would need a complete new PC as nothing else I have is HDCP compatible. Apparantly, you can't juist stick the drive in and it works with HD DVD discs. The graphics card, motherboard and even the monitor using a digital connection needs to have HDCP.

I don't think this is true, nothing I have is hdcp and I can play them just fine.

Comment

• ajp
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally Posted by nwg
                It won't work for much longer though. Once Cyberlink and Intervideo releases their update. It will plug the bug in the software and the old version will not work any longer.

Also, it only decrypt current discs. All they have to do is blacklist the current keys and issue new ones.

but if they cracked it this fast, there will be another one after that. It is just like DVD and ARCOSS, nothing is uncrackable.

Comment

• nwg
                  Left *****
                  • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by ajp
                  I don't think this is true, nothing I have is hdcp and I can play them just fine.
                  That is because the current discs/hardware don't use HDCP yet but they will eventually.

Comment

• driver8
                    • Sep 2004

Originally Posted by nwg
                    False. I see you have many posts and I am surprised you are saying this. my rig is 5 years old, has a very cheap hd card and all i needed was an xbox drive ($160)

Originally Posted by nwg

they don't blacklist title keys just player keys. since the title keys will be in the wild before they discover which ones have been exploited they will be behind the curve in every iteration

Comment

• nwg
                      Left *****
                      • Jun 2003

Do you like attacking people ?

I am out of this thread. I wished I never came back.

Comment

• toomanycats
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2005

You think your X-Box is playing at Hi-Def. The last X-Box I hooked up to my LCD projector look like "poop:. You may be seeing an image but I doubt that it is Full HDTV, unless you have stripped the copyright protection . What is the TV you are watching this on. There is not information too decipher what you are proposing. I personally have found NWG to be right on top of things, he has taught me a lot. I value his opinion, as well as Blutach RFBurns and Lt to name but a few. "I may not always be right, but I am never wrong".

Comment

• MikeyBK
                          Digital Video Maniac
                          • Feb 2006

Have you guys read about this, apparently, the first HD-DVD/BluRay combo player had some glitches...But I'm sure some companies tech engineers will get it right very soon.
                          MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
                          Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
                          ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
                          Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
                          XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
                          Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
                          Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
                          *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
                          *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• driver8
                            • Sep 2004

Originally Posted by toomanycats
                            You think your X-Box is playing at Hi-Def. The last X-Box I hooked up to my LCD projector look like "poop:. You may be seeing an image but I doubt that it is Full HDTV, unless you have stripped the copyright protection . What is the TV you are watching this on. There is not information too decipher what you are proposing. I personally have found NWG to be right on top of things, he has taught me a lot. I value his opinion, as well as Blutach RFBurns and Lt to name but a few. "I may not always be right, but I am never wrong".
                            Well please read a bit more precisely. I wrote xbox hd drive. It inside a 5 year old eMachines (lol) and delivering HD to my DVI monitor.

NWG maybe on top of a number of things but he is making incorrect statements on this topic. Title keys cannot be protected. If anything it will get easier and easier to get them.

Comment

• RFBurns
                              To Infinity And Byond
                              • May 2006

I suspect that what is needed very soon is a very long, very precise in definition, petition sent to congress with emphasis on the Fair Use Act.

The music industry came to terms and found a solution with the stand alone CD audio recorders and the specific blank media that it must use.

Of course though any PC CD burner can be used to completely bypass the stand alone recorder and its specific blank media. But since drive manufacturers have not incorporated the "music" or "audio" blank requirement code into the firmware of said drives, the music industry is not too worried about PC CD burners copying music CD's.

However the same concept can be used for the Blu-Ray. Specific blank media that carries a small fee in the price of the blanks to help offset losses, plus incorporate some form of tag or code in the pre-written area of the TOC along with some firmware code could help reduce if not prevent piracy by allowing only one direct digital copy of the Blu-Ray, and tagging the copy so that it cannot be copied itself in any machine or PC drive.

These manufacturers can do this easily, and would not significantly increase the cost of the machines or Blu-Ray discs.

Well lets see what develops over the next few weeks and months with all this.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• blutach
                                Not a god of digital video
                                • Oct 2004

Weeks and months? I wake up every morning and there are 10-15 posts in HD-DVD/BR threads over at Doom9. The pace is incredibly energetic and so much has been achieved in just a couple of weeks.

I only hope (and do believe) that all the work will converge to become all encompassing software. Only then will those users who have them, be able to actually exercise their Fair Use rights comprehensively.

One post I found terribly interesting was a fellow who went out and bought 5 HD-DVDs simply because he now could back them up (more or less). A great result for all, including the studios.

Regards
                                Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                                [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

Working...