Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SBN
    • Jan 2005

HDTV w/antenna?

I recentally brought a small TV down to my office to be able to watch football while there during weekends. Much to my surprise I couldn't get any reception. So I went out and bought an amplified antenna, which I found did nothing to improve the reception. It was then that someone told that since networks where switching to HDTV that I would need to get a HDTV TV to get good reception over an antenna. Since I have had cable for eons now I really have not noticed what if any changes were made. I do remember though before cable using an antenna. Sure at times it could be a pain, but we did watch TV just fine.

So my question then is do I need to get a HDTV to be able to get decent reception now?
  • toomanycats
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2005

If there an HDTV signal broadcast in your area then yes you would need an HDTV tuner to get that signal. As to how many stations or channels you would receive depends on where you are. It would be probably cheaper to get satellite set up by the time you ad up the costs of the TV and Tuner.

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

welcome to the forum

So my question then is do I need to get a HDTV to be able to get decent reception now?
      assuming there's nothing wrong with your equpment, if you don't get decent analogue reception, chances are you won't get any picture at all with a digital tuner. with analog, you can get a good picture, a bad picture and somewhere in between. with digital you either get it or you don't-- the tiny middle ground is you get a blocky mess

get a dvd player instead
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• RFBurns
        To Infinity And Byond
        • May 2006

Here is the begining of the "transition position did anyone listen" syndrome.

Contact your local broadcast stations and ask them for clarification on their HD signal coverage range and their HD channel assignment.

The NTSC or analog signal will still be there until the end of 2009. After which everyone will have no choice but to purchase a ATSC, or digital capable tv or a ATSC tuner box to feed the old NTSC sets.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• SBN
          • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by RFBurns
          Here is the begining of the "transition position did anyone listen" syndrome.

Contact your local broadcast stations and ask them for clarification on their HD signal coverage range and their HD channel assignment.

The NTSC or analog signal will still be there until the end of 2009. After which everyone will have no choice but to purchase a ATSC, or digital capable tv or a ATSC tuner box to feed the old NTSC sets.

Well what I am wondering about is whether TV stations are cutting back on the signal strength for analog. I grew up watching PBS on channel 2, and Football on 4, yet at the moment I can only get one channel being 9. I just find this very odd that a TV can not get these signals. I never remember it being anywhere this bad. Now considering when I was young we lived very far away from the TV stations antennas, and now I am about 15-20 miles closer, one would expect a better reception.

The second part of my questions was do you get better reception using HDTV, or is that something that is better to get through either satellite or digital cable?

Quite frankly I am a bit perplexed at all this, and there is not a chance in hell I am going to pay for cable TV at work (especially considering the cable company charges double for non-residential addresses)

Comment

• kuneo
            • Jan 2004

Here's the deal.

Regular analog tv is transmitted via VHF (very high frequency) you need the old "Rabbitt Ears" to receive the signals depending on location,and walls,and close buliding's....it all adds up to a mess.

HDTV's with built in tuner's need a UHF (ultra high frequency) antenna....which sometimes will give you better reception thru walls etc...

Only way to find out if it will work in your area or building is by buying the HDTV and indoor UHF antenna,and if it doesn't work...take all the stuff back.

I'm assuming that you are unable to mount an outdoor antenna at your work.

Good Luck
            K

Comment

Working...