Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rushhh
    • Jan 2007

Conversioning VCR tapes to DvD

HI I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600xt and I'm trying to record some old VCR tapes to convert to DvD or backup and burn to a DvD dice. I have the VCR connect to the input port on the card, I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8, and I see the video out put on the computer. So when I click to record and play on the VCR it records fine, until I click play of the review of the record on the computer, its all messed up like its on drugs or something. Why wouldn't it work?

thanks
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Are the tapes pre-recorded movies like rental tapes? If so you are encountering the copy guard which will make the video turn out sloppy, shaky and just plain trashy.

You need a video stabalizer to remove the copy guard and the recordings should be fine.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• ClassicFan
      • Nov 2006

"You need a video stabilizer to remove the copy guard and the recordings should be fine."

Yes! Just the answer I am looking for too ... please describe video stabilization (programs, sources ..)

I have many grand old VHS movies that need preservation on DVD before the tapes die of old age.

Thanks!

Comment

• RFBurns
        To Infinity And Byond
        • May 2006

The stabilization process, depending on which type you get, analog or digital units, insert new vertical blanking pulses to the video signal. The vertical blanking pulse is where the macrovision pulses are located. They rise and fall in amplitude (level) and this causes the APC and AGC circuitry (Automatic Picture Control/Automatic Gain Control) to oversaturate and cause the unpleasant picture/color distortions. This effectively causes copies to be useless.

The maximum level of pulses that can be inserted into the vertical blanking interval is aprox 1/3 level of the pulse itself, the pulse of the vertical blanking is .30 from zero IRE on the waveform monitor to the negative measurement. If we insert a pulse in that .30 level that goes byond .30, it oversaturates any APC and AGC circuitry to a point where they do not track fast enough to compensate. Even if they did compensate for it, the vertical blanking pulse itself would become too weak due to the re-adjustment of the APC and AGC circuits, then we would loose vertical lock of the picture and experience consistant rolling (loss of vertical lock).

The stabalizers re-insert pulses based on the input and "cover up" the inserted macrovision pulse. This improves the picture by at least 90 percent from the analog unit, to about 99.8 percent on the digital unit.

I recommend the digital units, they work extremely well for VHS analog sources as well as the DVD sources.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• olyteddy
          • Nov 2006

There's also some hacked software around that will tell your AIW to ignore MacroVision.

Comment

• RFBurns
            To Infinity And Byond
            • May 2006

Yes that will work as well. However hacking hardware is like overclocking cpu's, risky and sometimes not giving the results expected, but if it works, thats great!

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• ClassicFan
              • Nov 2006

"The stabalizers re-insert pulses based on the input and "cover up" the inserted macrovision pulse. This improves the picture by at least 90 percent from the analog unit, to about 99.8 percent on the digital unit."

Yes, many thanks for your explanation of the process, which helps me understand the VHS analogue to DVD digital conversion, with anti-copy breaking.

But I still need to know: are there are freeware, shareware or commercial programs available to do this?

Links, please, if you have 'em.

Comment

Working...