Sony camcorder: sync to audio in iMovie?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheColorBlue
    • Jan 2007

Sony camcorder: sync to audio in iMovie?

Hi! I am new to this forum, so thank you in advance to people who take the time to read my post or respond with advice. = )

<meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"><title></title><meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"><title></title>Allow me to try and explain what I intend to do. I will own a Sony camcorder soon, (30 gig Hard drive type). I am a musician. I intend to play and sing over stuff I have already multitracked and mixed in Logic Pro 7.

My live performance, over the top of that, I intend to capture with the Sony camcorder.

Then, of course, I will (or attempt to anyway) use iMovie to capture that video from the Sony camera.

Now, I will have an audio version from the Sony's microphone of all parts: the pre recorded stuff coming from my speakers, and the stuff I perform live.

But, as I will be recording as I do this to Logic, I am sure the audio from Logic will be much better. I would either mix the two, or mute the Sony's audio completely and just use the Logic 7 audio. This would be a stereo file, mixed down from Logic, in standard audio format. Something iMovie would certainly understand.

I know that the audio i record to Logic and the Sony won't be synced (one doesn't know the other exists), but using my ears and eye, it is possible to line them up, right? I don't need down to the sample accuracy as one would when film scoring, just the ability to line up: nudge the audio in iMovie back and forth until I am satisfied with the sync.

I look forward to your response. Thank you!

P.S. I have not purchased the camcorder just yet, and a JVC or Panasonic camcorder is also an option, if Sony is incompatible with Mac. All I need though, is for iMovie to recognize and capture it. Of course Sony's software that comes with the camera won't worn on Mac. (I'm used to being a Mac person in a PCcentric world) If iMovie can capture the video, then I think that will be enough

I am a Mac user, OS 10.4.7. My version of iMovie is iLife 04, but iLife '06 is on its way.
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

The software that comes with the Sony camera should contain the MAC OS versions of drivers etc to let you work the camera, capture its video/audio etc into your MAC.

Eyeballing the syncronization of the video and seperate audio source is one way to do it. Using time-code is another way to help sync up the two different sources. Time-code is a time frame, control track pulse that units use to sync up to each other when editing. Mostly performed externally from a computer, and done through an editing hardware system.

If absolute accuracy of syncronization is not a priority, give it a go with the eye.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...