X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrkww2000
    • Jan 2007

Recording Audio from two persons

Hello All,

I'm new to these forums but looking forward to posting and reading here quite a bit.

I'm soon to be filming and editing a cooking DVD for my boss, and I was wondering on what most would use as far as recording the audio for this situation. It's somewhat of a good sized kitchen and there will be two chef's cooking at the same time. At most they'd be about 7 to 8 feet apart when lets say going to the oven, etc. I have a Sennheiser ew100 g2 wireless mic and am thinking about purchasing a second one for the other chef, or possibly purchasing a boom mic instead. If over lapping two audio tracks, do you think I'd get too much noise if I went with the two wireless mic's or should I use a boom mic?

Thanks,
    Kurt
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

I would recommend another wireless for the other person in the video. If their distance of seperation is going to be consistant, the second wireless mic solution is good.

A boom mic would work too but would become a problem when the two subjects on stage move apart, your boom mic operator would have a fun time keeping the mic situated to pick up both voices.

The problem with using two mics is that when the two subjects come within a certian distance of each other, the mics might cancel each other out as they get closer, and the audio will begin to sound like they are speaking in a barrel. Some wireless mic recievers have a phase switch or adjustment knob to help compensate for this close mic proximity effect.

You might want to consider having an audio operator run a mixer so that you get the best possible mix onto the audio track of the project.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• mrkww2000
      • Jan 2007

Ok, If I use two mics, should both be the same make and model, for I know mics can vary in tone, quality, etc. I'm going to be editing in Premiere, would I want to merge the two tracks into one, or leave them as two seperate tracks? I'm a little afraid that if I lay down both tracks, I'm going to have some noise in there that will be multiplied when no one is talking. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
      Kurt

Comment

• RFBurns
        To Infinity And Byond
        • May 2006

Originally Posted by mrkww2000
        Ok, If I use two mics, should both be the same make and model, for I know mics can vary in tone, quality, etc. I'm going to be editing in Premiere, would I want to merge the two tracks into one, or leave them as two seperate tracks? I'm a little afraid that if I lay down both tracks, I'm going to have some noise in there that will be multiplied when no one is talking. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
        Kurt

Using identical microphones and wireless recievers definately helps keep the tone quality even between them.

On the issue of seperate tracks vs mixing them...for your master I would have them seperated on their own tracks. That way when the master is completed, you can mix the two audio tracks and mix it in a way so that you get the best sound. If you master it with both audio tracks already mixed, it might not sound right and you would have to re-master again.

There should not be any noise to speak of, except for the normal signal to noise ratio specs of the mic's themselves. As you master the project, you can determine if you need some filtering. But I would bet that any noise that may be present is going to be at such a very low level compared to the signal level that it wont be noticable at all even during quiet points.

Good luck with the project!

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• mrkww2000
          • Jan 2007

excellent. thanks for your help RFBurns.

Comment

• RFBurns
            To Infinity And Byond
            • May 2006

Originally Posted by mrkww2000
            excellent. thanks for your help RFBurns.

Anytime! Glad to be of help.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...