Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JMTaylor
    • Jan 2007

Help with recording video/audio on PC!

I have to make a 3 minute video introduction, and I was planning to use a webcam and mic. I don't have access to a digital camera until I go back home next month.

The current webcam I am using has an integrated mic. When I record video alone, or audio alone, there is no problem. But when I record video and audio together, there is a problem.

The audio becomes sort of choppy. Every second or two the audio gets cut off and there is static noise when it does get cut off, as if there is a loose wire and someone is fumbling with it while I am recording.

First I though it was just the integrated mic. So, I disabled the integrated mic and attached a separate mic to the sound card. Same results... recording audio alone is OK, but recording video and audio together is once again problematic.

I borrowed someone else's webcam with the same results. Then I realized, maybe it's the software. The software that comes with the original webcam is ArcSoft VideoImpressions. I downloaded Open Video Capture from the net, and tried that. I got the same results. If I am capturing audio and video, the audio is scratchy/choppy.

This PC I'm using is kind of old. It's a P3-800 256mb piece of crap (I miss my PC back home!). I was thinking that maybe, for some reason, capturing video and audio was eating up the PC's resources and could be the reason for the choppy audio. So, what I did was I did a clean boot to make sure nothing else was running with Windows. But AGAIN, I got the same results. Capturing video and audio resulted in choppy audio, but capturing audio only was OK.

Can anyone help me? Perhaps there is software that will fix the problem? Or is there some sort of setting I should tweak to fix the situation?

Thank you in advance for any help!
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Howdy!

Well I would check that PC's start up in msconfig, see if alot of junk is being loaded at start up which will hog up resources.

I have a P3 800Mhz machine running Win98SE and it captures just fine. I dont think the CPU speed is the problem. It could use a bit more memory, my P3 800 has 512Mb PC 100 on an Asus PBX 440 mobo. The capture card is an old STB TVPCI capture card and it works excellent.

If all else fails you might try using Windows Media Encoder for the capturing program.

Good luck!

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...