X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chaithanya
    • Jan 2007

Testing the quality of the encoded video streams

Hi,

I'am a new member to this group and also I'am a beginner in Video domain.

I just need to know what are all the parameters we need to consider when judging the quality of the encoded video streamed over TCP?

I have a Video streamer which takes the analog video from a camera through a bnc cable. The digital video from the streamer is streamed over TCP/IP which can be viewed by opening the web client.

Now if i have to test the quality of the video displayed in the client, what are all the parameters i have to consider ? and how to measure those parameters?

Should I have to do these things manually? OR is there any tool available to do these things

Please can anyone help me on this. Any help is very much appreciated
  • olyteddy
    • Nov 2006

I'd probably use a standard Video Test generator (color bars, multi-burst, stairs, etc.) and a scope on the client. This can test bandwidth and distortion pretty easily and accurately. Theis, however is a static test and I'd probably follow these with a video clip of some fast action like a car chase.

Comment

• Chaithanya
      • Jan 2007

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

By the way, should I have to use a vectorscope or a normal oscilloscope for this??

Do you have any link which says what video parameters can be measured using the scope??
      Also how can we connect the scope to the PC where I'am running the client??(should I have to take the video out of the graphics card and give it to the scope??)

Please advice..

Your inputs will be of immense help for me.

Comment

• olyteddy
        • Nov 2006

If you have a Wave Form Monitor (scope) and a Vectorscope available, by all means use them. And yeah, the 'Video Out' of the client is where you'd test them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_bars should get you started.

Comment

Working...