Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • underhook
    • Jan 2007

No video - all file types, except on .DAT on DivX Player

Have a weird problem here guys. Whenever I play video (any format) on any of the players (WM10, Real, MPC, DivX, etc) in my computer, there is only audio, but no video. The screen displays a sort of gray--not blank black, but becomes this sort of gray when the audio starts.
    And then(!), I discovered that if I play two .DAT files (copied from VCD) in succession in my DivX Player 2.5, I can now play any video (any format) on any player. Sort of like playing the .DAT files on the DivX Player unlocks something. But(!), if I exit DivX Player, I go back to the same problem with the other players--so I have to keep the DivX Player open.
    And then(!), another development: when I installed the new DivX 6.4, the procedure above doesn't work any more, meaning no more video at all. So I had to reinstall the old DivX, do the "unlock" procedure (play 2 .DAT files), so I could play video again.
    What do you think is the problem guys?

My computer is a Prestigio laptop running Windows XP Pro. Pentium 4 2.4GHz, 512 RAM.
  • olyteddy
    • Nov 2006

Try VLC player. If that works, you either have a codec problem or a video driver problem. You might try turning off Video Acceleration in DXDiag (render without overlay) and see if that helps.

Comment

• underhook
      • Jan 2007

Tried VLC, same result: no video, audio only. How do I do your second suggestion (video acceleration in dxdiag)? I can't seem to find that option in DXDiag.

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

I can't seem to find that option in DXDiag.
        Under DISPLAY/DirectX Features
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• underhook
          • Jan 2007

Really sorry, but it's not here... see screenshot below

Comment

• olyteddy
            • Nov 2006

Try clicking those three buttons marked 'Disable'. If that doesn't get your vid working, turn them back on. You might also use the two test buttons on that tab.

Comment

• underhook
              • Jan 2007

So cool! That worked! Thanks a lot! Madaming salamat!

Last question, though: do you guys know why the problem took place? Is it because my hardware is incapable of video acceleration? And, what do I lose now, now that it's disabled? Would the videos be of somewhat lower quality?

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

And, what do I lose now, now that it's disabled?
                slower windows UI, and any gaming. re-enable the options in directx, instead try a player that allows you to specify the renderer (eg media player classic, zoom player, and VLC too i believe) and use VMR9

has this always happened?
                Last edited by anonymez; 9 Feb 2007, 07:43 PM.
                "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• underhook
                  • Jan 2007

Originally Posted by anonymez
                  slower windows UI, and any gaming. re-enable the options in directx, instead try a player that allows you to specify the renderer (eg media player classic, zoom player, and VLC too i believe) and use VMR9

has this always happened?
                  nope... started happening sometime when my laptop was around 2 years old. Hehe, wasn't really able to track what I did which caused this. But afterwards, even if I reinstall my OS, the problem remains.

Tried your suggestion with MPC. Doesn't work How do I do it in VLC? I get drowned in the plethora of options I can't find where that VMR9 is in there 0_o

For now, disabling acceleration is the only thing that works.
                  Last edited by underhook; 13 Feb 2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• olyteddy
                    • Nov 2006

That means your video chip driver probably has a problem. http://www.driverzone.com/device.php?id=2026 has the driver for your video chip and http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx will get you to the current direct x.

Comment

Working...