Region free for Sony DVP-NS501P DVD player?!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mr_shadow
    • Jan 2007

Region free for Sony DVP-NS501P DVD player?!!

Hi , can anyone help me unlock a Sony DVP-NS501P DVD player (region free code)? If so, please post a reply to me. Thanks in advance.
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Howdy!

Well I can tell you that its possible to change any Sony DVD player to be region free. Its all in the firmware. Accessing that is done thru a service/maintenance mode, but you have to have the service module disc loaded before making any changes in the setup structure or the changes will not be written correctly to the firmware, and turn the player into a large paperweight. The service module disc is not public domain software, only available to authorized Sony service centers. Since it is protected material, I cannot make that available. There are other solutions.

That player will play properly edited DVD's from other regions. The MPEG decoder in there gladly accepts and properly displays PAL 25fps from a DVD that has been edited to make the player think the DVD is NTSC, or region 1. Changing the DVD to region free, the player will also accept it.

Another alternative is to purchase a DVD player that is already region free.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• mr_shadow
      • Jan 2007

Originally Posted by RFBurns
      Howdy!

Well I can tell you that its possible to change any Sony DVD player to be region free. Its all in the firmware. Accessing that is done thru a service/maintenance mode, but you have to have the service module disc loaded before making any changes in the setup structure or the changes will not be written correctly to the firmware, and turn the player into a large paperweight. The service module disc is not public domain software, only available to authorized Sony service centers. Since it is protected material, I cannot make that available. There are other solutions.

That player will play properly edited DVD's from other regions. The MPEG decoder in there gladly accepts and properly displays PAL 25fps from a DVD that has been edited to make the player think the DVD is NTSC, or region 1. Changing the DVD to region free, the player will also accept it.

Another alternative is to purchase a DVD player that is already region free.

Thanks RFBurns
      yes, I can always buy new DVD but I want learn how make something alone with help from another members... I can’t learn nothing if I buy new unit... that's a point<o></o>

From another side I like this model and remote is almost perfect!

Comment

• ed klein
        Banned
        • Mar 2004

Don't know if this will help, might require some long search for what you are looking for, I have some hacks for ILO products, but not Sony.

Comment

• RFBurns
          To Infinity And Byond
          • May 2006

Originally Posted by mr_shadow
          Thanks RFBurns
          yes, I can always buy new DVD but I want learn how make something alone with help from another members... I can’t learn nothing if I buy new unit... that's a point<O></O>
          From another side I like this model and remote is almost perfect!

Actually you did learn something here.....that the Sony unit can be changed to region free, and to make that happen the unit must be in service mode and have the service module disc loaded.

Keep in mind tho, that if you find a hack for that unit, your going to void any warranty you may have if it needs service under its warranty time frame. Trust me, the techs at Sony know when a unit is hacked. As a Sony design engineer, I can also tell you that some of the later models of DVD players were intentionally equipped with firmware that would cause undesirable operation if the firmware is hacked. The unit might stop in the middle of a movie and open its tray, or power down, or freeze video or playback irratically.

Let me make a suggestion. All of the Sony DVD players are field upgradable, meaning they can have the firmware updated by a file downloaded from Sony's website. Much of the hacks out there are based on these firmware updates, reversed engineered per say. You can run the risk and load up one of these hacked firmware files, or go to one of Sony's European or Asian sites and see if there is an actual Sony firmware update for the Asian or European model of the same unit and find a region free upgrade.

Good luck.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...