Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jphinton
    • Jan 2007

speed to rip dvd

Is it better to rip a dvd at 4x then 8x, I thought i read it was. Thankx for any help
  • Dan
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Dec 2005

I always rip at MAX speed unless I have a scratched/dirty disk that is causing problems. Depends on the burner too. My old LG will still rip disks that my NEC has trouble with.

Comment

• Gary D
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

My old LG is a great reader but has a lousy recovery for inserted dummy sectors for DVDs. My NEC will sometimes not be able to read a scratched disc while the LG just slows down and marches through it.

About reading speed, I always set my to Max. Both my NEC and LG will slow down on their own if they have any reading problems.
      Gary D

Comment

• Furiousg
        If you have any poo....throw it now
        • Dec 2005

I leave my rip speed on max...but regardless of what I choose my LG 4167B (DL13) has a dang RipLock at 4-4.5x. It reads the majority of discs. I've only had problems with a couple that had bad scratches and it just slows down and chugs through. I wouldn't worry too much about using a lower speed.
        -FuriousG-

Comment

• jm1647
          An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
          • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by Gary D

About reading speed, I always set my to Max. Both my NEC and LG will slow down on their own if they have any reading problems.
          My LiteOn drives slow down also. I always rip at MAX speed

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

Also enable the setting "Set Read Speed" in DVD Decryper and not just have the MAX setting greyed out - that can make a big difference.

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

Is it better to rip a dvd at 4x then 8x, I thought i read it was. Thankx for any help
              Are you talking about ripping to your hard drive or burning to a blank disc?

Comment

Working...