Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingaaa
    • Mar 2006

Cant play AVI files with Media-player 10

I recently got my daughter a new p.c. running windows xp.It's not connected to the internet yet, I still think shes a bit young, but it was to aid her school work and play music and video files.So tonight I transferred some mp3's and avi's to her pc via an external hard-drive and while the mp3's play no prblem, I'm only getting sound from the avi's.When I open an avi with media player I get a warning "error downloading codecs". So I un-checked the "automatically download codecs" box in media players settings, but still the same - all sound and no picture.So I downloaded the codec pack for media players 7+ on my pc and put it on cd and installed it on her pc, still nothing.It's probably something simple, but can anybody steer me in the right direction?
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Give Media Player Classic a shot at it.

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

So I downloaded the codec pack for media players 7+ on my pc and put it on cd and installed it on her pc
      uninstall it, download & install ffdshow. media player classic is also recommended
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• src2206
        • Jan 2007

AVI files can be of different types and requires various codecs. So what type of AVI file file are you usnig? From you peroblem details it clearly seems that your PC does not have the required Codec installed.

I suggest that you download and use a free tool named Media Info and post the report that it produces. Download it from here:

MediaInfo is a convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files

Comment

• kingaaa
          • Mar 2006

thanks guys, ffdshow sorted the problem out sharpish!

Comment

• hsoftwaremaster
            softwaremaster.awardspace .com
            • Feb 2007

You can also use a program called GSpot, it gives you detailed info about your avi and the codecs contained in them:

Comment

Working...