Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peapot67
    • Jan 2007

Not recognizing drives

Help, I took out a cd drive from my computer and put in a DVD burner and a firewire card. I also have a CD burner that I left in. When I put the computer back together, it recognized my firewire card but it did not recognize either of my DVD or CD drives. Any ideas what I did wrong?
  • OldStuff
    • Dec 2006

Did you check the jumpers on the drives?

Comment

• Peapot67
      • Jan 2007

Not sure what jumpers are, but I didn't take anything off the drive that I left in and what I took off the drive I took out I hooked up to the new drive.

Comment

• OldStuff
        • Dec 2006

Ok, was the new drive connected in the master position - at the end of the data cable, or in the slave position - at the middle of the data cable?

If in the middle, then the drive probably came with a jumper in the master position and will need to me moved to the slave or cable select position.

When you look at the back of the drive you will see the long pin connector, the power connector and a group of three or four sets of pins that have a jumber across one set. How the jumper is to be set is usually marked on the top of the drive or in the manual.

If that's not it double check your cable connections and make sure you have not mis-alligned the data cable - that it lines up with all those pins.

Comment

• Peapot67
          • Jan 2007

The drive that I put in was at the end of the data cable.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Learning how to build a PC in 2019 can still be intimidating-- don't worry. We have all the steps you need from start to finish.

look at the back of the drive you took out and change the jumper on the new drive to the same setting

Comment

Working...