Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheColorBlue
    • Jan 2007

remove stuck Mini DV from camcorder?

Hi. I have a Panasonic GS39 mini DV camcorder. It's about two weeks old. Quite new.

The mini DV cassette is stuck inside it! When I eject, the transport mechanism comes up and out, and the tape is accessible to my fingers as usual... . But it's stuck. This was maybe the fourth cassette i put into the device. All other times worked fine. It's a Sony mini DV.

I don't think it's in "the wrong way", as it plays and records fine, and the mechanism is pretty idiot proof. It feels like there's something holding on to it. As if Panasonic designed some mechanism that holds it in place to protect the tape, and that has malfunctioned and won't let go.

I called panasonic. They said send it in, of course. Truthfully, I'm in the middle of something and just don't want to let it go.

Feel free to tell me if you think this is insane, but I am considering taking the thing apart and trying to fix it myself. It's a 250.00 dollar camera. I'm in the middle of a project and don't want to wait.

The woman I spoke with said she'd seen about six of these incidents in a year with this model. That's not a lot, but obviously it can happen.

If I send it in and this happens again, then that will suck. It might be good if I can just learn how to do this myself.

Has anyone had experience doing this, or can give advice on the matter?

Alternately, does anyone have experience with the Panasonic GS300, a 3 chip machine? I was considering possibly getting one of these... but I don't want to have the cassette get stuck in it again!

Thank you in advance for any advice!
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Howdy!

The common cause to mini-DV tapes getting stuck in the load basket and mech is a broken door cover on the tape case itself. It gets jammed and cannot move properly when attempting to pull the tape out of the load basket.

Another cause is the tape gets wrapped around something inside the mech.

Since that camera is only 2 weeks old I would recommend sending it in or finding an authorized service center close to your location.

The mini-DV mech and load baskets are extremely fragile and are easily bent out of shape, even by inserting the tape into the load basket incorrectly, or jamming it or forcing it. Once something in there gets bent, it is always a major repair since those things must have tight tolorances for proper alignment.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• RocketDogg
      • Jan 2007

Hi. I have a Sony Camcorder and had one of my tapes get stuck as well. Same scenario as you, tape felt like something was holding onto it. I took it to a shop where they fixed it and charged me like $20.

So my suggestion is take it in and have them look at it. GL

Comment

Working...