Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Jones
    • May 2002

Dvd to Dvd - Newbee

My kids are killing my dvd's. I just want to make copies of them. I want to put them on blank dvd's, not cd's. As I looked through the forum, I see many different programs that are getting me confussed. Is there a straight through program for dvd-hard drive-dvd? Or do I have to play with many different programs?
    Thank you
    Mike
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Well the problem with DVD->DVD-R backup, is that DVD-R media only support 4.7GB of data, this is almost never enough for a simple copy of a movie DVD.
    So you will have to either throw something away or split the DVD in two. This means changeing the structure of the DVD which is not simple.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• EighteenthVoid
      • May 2002

either that, or running the movie files thru tmpgenc and encoding them with a slightly lower bitrate so that the whole movie will fit on a 4.7gig dvdr, or on 2cds. either way will take a while to encode.

alternative methods include chopping off the credits, getting rid of uneeded info (trailers, commentaries).

and also not every movie is more than 4.7 gigs. a lot of the ones i have seen are actually only about 4gigs. (especially double sided discs where each side is only 3.8 - 4.2 gigs)

Comment

• Mike Jones
        • May 2002

Ok, what would be the recommend way to copy a dvd onto another dvd. I don't want to try and sqeeze it onto a cd. I want to be able to watch it on a computer and dvd player that handles dvd, mpg3 and vcd. I would like to use the best quality. I see so much info on this forum that it is totally blows my mind.
        Thanks
        Mike

Comment

• SEBERLIM
          • May 2002

use dvd2svcd and save it on 2 800 cd,s,you can convert them with subtitle ifyou want to.
          good luck.mike

Comment

Working...