Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kachelmeyer
    • Mar 2007

Two Internal Hard Drives

I just installed a second internal hard drive on my PC and it seems to be running slower. I needed the extra drive for video files. I currently have the 80GB drive the PC came with and I added a 250GB. Is there anything I need to do besides just hook them up? They are both working, but performance seems to have dropped, when I thought this storage addition would help. Any suggestions?

kachelmeyer
  • olyteddy
    • Nov 2006

Run HDTune and find out fore sure. Also make sure that that PIA Windows Indexing Service is disabled.

Comment

• AhelpingHand
      • Mar 2007

Tell us more about your computer and your settings.
      Online free tutorials | Add Your Logo To A Video | Remove Commercials From AVI | Adjust Audio/Video Sync | Capture A Frame From Any Video

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

Also check the DMA transfer mode for your hard drives, should be Ultra DMA MODE 5. That is what my hard drive is operating at.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• ed klein
          Banned
          • Mar 2004

Hopefully your 80gb hard drive is the SATA connection, and the second 250gb hard drive is also SATA, but most likely they are not.

If they are both IDE hard drives DON'T put both hard drives on the same IDE cable master and slave connections.

If possible split the work load (resources needed) equally over both IDE cables.

And while the computer is open check that you have 80 leads and 40 pins IDE cables on the primary and secondary IDE cables, if you have 40 leads and 40 pin cables change them out.

Well worth the effort to do your homework first and POA (plan of attack) before opening the case, so you don't have to go back the second time around.
          Last edited by ed klein; 10 Mar 2007, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Working...