X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TahoCliffhucker
    Newby
    • Jul 2006

.mpeg and .wmv file icons

This issue has been bothering me for some time. Every once in awhile I search and search for the answer.

I use to be able to save video clips off the net to a Windows XPPro folder and each and every file icon in thumbnail view would have a picture which represented the content of the video clip.

Then only some of the files had pictures from the clip as the icon thumb view.

Now no movie clips ever has a representative picture from the clip as the thumb icon.

I am not sure if the icons had the pics originally because of some other photo or video program I may have been trying out which enabled the rendering (I have tried tons of digital editing software etc) or if it is a windows feature that somehow got corrupted.

I have been trying to install every photo or dvd program I can which I may have had that made this rendering possible; but no luck.

If anyone can solve this that would be great. (i.e. where is the "Donate" to the forum button!)

Or if you can recommend another better suited forum to post this issue.

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Could be one of several things, my guess is bad directshow filters, Nero's seem to screw it up often, especially for Vista users. Anyway these steps should cover everything:

-Download & install ffdshow
    -Download & install Haali's Media Splitter
    -Click Start-->run, type

Code:
    regsvr32 shmedia.dll
    and hit Enter.
    -Open up Control Panel, select Folder Options, enable "Show hidden files" and uncheck "Hide operating system files" (or something like that, IIRC)
    -Navigate through any folders with video files in them, delete the file "thumbs.db". Or just search your hard disk for them, there will be one per folder.
    -Reboot

The next time you open up a folder with videos, new thumbnails should be generated. Keep in mind that most of your thumbnails will be black since the first frame is used. This has been addressed in Vista BTW.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• TahoCliffhucker
      Newby
      • Jul 2006

Thanks for the reply.

I am giving it a try.

I'll definetly post back results.

Thanks again

Cheers

Comment

• TahoCliffhucker
        Newby
        • Jul 2006

anonymez rules

anonymez,

Bingo! That did it!

I have been trying too resolve this on and off for months. I have posting in numerous forums all with no luck.

Do I need to keep ffdshow and Haali's Media Splitter installed? Or did they do there job?

Thanks again.

I do not see a "donate to the forum" option?? Is there one?

Cheers

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

Do I need to keep ffdshow and Haali's Media Splitter installed? Or did they do there job?
          You will want to keep them, together they will play back most formats.

I do not see a "donate to the forum" option?? Is there one?
          Nope. Glad it worked out
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...