X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maxxstuff
    • Jul 2007

more Black and white tv output problems

hello first post ever thanks

ok i have a 7800 gt nvidea card going to a tv and when i install drivers it changes to black and white (i mean half way through driver install it clicks from color to black and white) and when i unistall drivers its color again!!!!

things i have done

1new cable it works in color with no drivers installed its a s-video to component

2 checked the saturation levels they are good

3 made sure it was in the US NTSC mode

so those are the fixes i have found and done to no avail
    i've heard of people shorting out the svideo cable to make it work but if its color with no drivers i don't think its the problem

please, please, anyone this has happened to please report
    i know theres lots of articles but they don't seem to help i HAVE searched for hours i know theres some easy answer i just can't find it

thank you in advance for any help
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

welcome to the forum

old drivers may be causing a conflict

a lot of people have this problem or worse

Comment

• maxxstuff
      • Jul 2007

yeah tried that just now and no luck i forgot to mention i have tried 3 sets of drivers ranging from 85.## to 162.## with a couple in between with uninstall and reboots in between
      thanks

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

you have to be able to boot and know they are gone, verify in device manager, what OS are you using, that's pertinent?

for xp I stick with these

stay away from beta versions

Comment

• maxxstuff
          • Jul 2007

i'm using xp 32 bit and yes i have been looking in the device manager it just says vga compatible with a exclamation point when drivers are uninstalled and actually that is the exact driver i used in the middle of 85 to 162 its still in my download folder even

this is frustrating cause i ran a mx4000 with no problems for a media computer (not media xp) but xp pro for 2 years the only problem there was the same saturation problem everyone has it took me 20min to find that answer 2 years ago and now this nonsense with a much more expensive computer

should i just reformat that only takes an hour or so
          thanks for quick responses

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

try one more thing, make sure the tv is disconnected

remove the old driver and reboot into safe mode

run the cleaner tool

reboot and then load the whql driver

Comment

• maxxstuff
              • Jul 2007

still no luck i unistalled rebooted ran the cleaner for nvidea with the tv disconnected rebooted installed 94.24 whql connected the tv after install and it still goes black and white at the welcome screen
              anymore suggestions? do you think reformatting will even help
              thanks again for the responses

Comment

• RFBurns
                To Infinity And Byond
                • May 2006

Howdy!

Sounds like the tv in use might have a color discriminator problem, or it is not broadband enough to capture and demodulate the color information from the pc video card.

Most new tv sets have a very narrow bandwidth within the IF circuitry. These circuits are located inside a chip known as a "jungle chip". It contains the tv's horizontal, vertical timing circuits, video and sync timing circuits, and the chroma or color demodulation circuits. It is impossible to adjust the bandwidth of these circuits since they are contained in the chip.

Older tv's had "lump" circuits to perform all the functions that the jungle chip does. Within these lump circuits were variable resistors (potentiometers) and coils with tuning slugs to allow adjustment of the various circuits. These sets also had external or extended controls which gave the unit the ability to be adjusted via the front pannel. Things like vertical hold, horizontal hold, width and hight and sometimes color frequency could be adjusted from the front pannel controls. Dont confuse these adjustments with the modern digital adjustments on the newer sets.

One thing you might try is to run down to your local rat shack (radio shack) or even wally world and get a video/audio modulator. Make sure it has a S-Video input. Plug your S-Video cable from the PC video card into this modulator, set it for ch 3 or 4, then tune your tv to the channel you have the modulator set for. See if this fixes the color problem. If it does, then your tv's direct video inputs have a very narrow bandwidth and cannot properly demodulate the color signal being fed from the video card. Or it is possible that the PC video card, for some odd reason, is outputting the color carrier slightly off frequency and the tv cannot properly see it, or at least sees it briefly. The NTSC color carrier frequency is 3.579545 Mhz.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RFBurns; 13 Jul 2007, 09:14 AM.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• soup
                  Just Trying To Help
                  • Nov 2005

Boy RF, don't take this the wrong way because I enjoy reading all of your posts but now I am actually understanding most of what I read. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks (LOL).

Comment

• Art Vandelay
                    Digital Video Technician
                    Digital Video Technician
                    • Feb 2006

This is what I did

I had a similar problem with my GEforce 7500 LE NVIDIA card. When I setup my media center it was black and white. I right clicked on the desktop and selected properties > settings > advanced > click on graphics card tab > select Nview display settings . my system is set to clone so i have the pic on the PC and TV at the same time. I have 2 icons shown 1 for the PC and 1 for the TV. Right click on the TV icon or sometimes it is called 1b when the monitor is 1a After right clicking the icon select TV format > advanced > then you will see signal format which for me is M/NTSC Canada, under Video Output format you must select SVIDEO , when mine is set to automatic I get a BW picture. You msut select SVIDEO OUT. then OK, OK all the way out. This is what fixed it for me, hope it works for you. I have only used the drivers from the HP site for my PC, I didn't like the NVIDEA graphics GUI from their site.

Comment

• maxxstuff
                      • Jul 2007

ok but i have color unitl i install drivers. so, no hardware problems right? my tv has worked for years on a mx4000 video card it was the best media for me. what else is there? the tv worked on a ****ty video card and not this one?thanks again you guys have been helpful

Comment

• toomanycats
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2005

Just because it works without the drivers installed does not negate what RFBurns has said. With the Windoze default drivers you video card is running minimally. The drivers are probably making your card run at peak which makes me believe that either the settings are not right (user selected) or, what RFBurns said is the issue, and the signals are not demodulating the right way defaulting in black and white. What kind of TV is it and did you try using an RF modulator?

Comment

• maxxstuff
                          • Jul 2007

no i have not gotten the modulator yet i want try all options i can first, as for the tv its a 32 inch sharp crt (the heavy as hell kind) it was made in 2002 says the back of it
                          what options would i be forgetting
                          i have done
                          saturation level
                          ntsc US
                          diffrent cables
                          turned it to auto select and s video (i tried both)
                          i'll try others tvs to see if it is the tv

on a side note when i install drivers for my 7800 nvidea card it does not pass the "windows verification"
                          is that normal?

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

if you had the same problem with the WHQL Certified driver I linked to then that's not the problem, but I would do all testing only with certified drivers

Comment

• RFBurns
                              To Infinity And Byond
                              • May 2006

Chewy is right, definately test with the proper/updated drivers for that specific vid card.

However if after testing with proper drivers, different tv sets, the modulator, and different cables, I would then take the vid card out, put it back into its box and take it back for a replacement or refund. There shouldnt be any reason other than what has been covered for that thing to not function properly with correct drivers, cables etc.

The last resort test would be to find someone with one of those converter boxes that takes the svga connection and converts to RCA/S-Vid instead of connecting directly to the vid card's S-Vid connector. If your tv displays color in this way, then definately that S-Vid connection is poof, hence defective video card.

Good luck.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...