Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yammer5
    • Jul 2007

How do i get rid of widescreen?

When i back up a dvd that is in widescreen, (which as far as i can see everyone of my collection seems to be in widescreen) is it possible to change the aspect ratio so that i dont have the black lines at the top and bottom? im currently using dvd shrink and nero to back up my dvds. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
  • Yammer5
    • Jul 2007

I have read the threads below, thanks for who ever put them there, trouble is i dont want to watch my backed up non copy righted dvds on my pc or dvd player i want to watch them on my ipod and or moblie phone, so i cant play with the aspect or zoom that way, i will have to somehow remove the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen some other way, because when i watch them on such small devices they are tiny in widescreen.

Thanks

Comment

• MikeyBK
      Digital Video Maniac
      • Feb 2006

The only way you'd be able to change the aspect ratio and fill the iPod screen, getting rid of the top and bottom blackness, would crop the sides, ....basically like zooming in.

If you were to stretch the top and bottom while keeping the width the same, well you would end up with all 'tall and thin' distorted people...lol
      MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
      Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
      ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
      Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
      XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
      Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
      Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
      *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
      *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• Yammer5
        • Jul 2007

ah i see, its only a problem cos im watching the films on such small players, its my own fault i should buy an Archos or something
        Thanks for the reply

Comment

• ed klein
          Banned
          • Mar 2004

You can use TMPGEnc Plus or its replacement for croping the top and bottom black borders, then encode.

If the source DVD is 16:9, set the DVD player for 16:9 and use TMPGEnc Plus using the croping method to remove the black north and south borders.

With this method your are keeping the true widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio but the black borders are removed on a full screen 4:3 TV.

I just purchased an upscale DVD player that can output to 1080P and it has a one button option, that will automatically adjust the picture no matter what aspect ratio the DVD source is to:

1. Choose the aspect ratio you want
          2. Automatically adjust the picture to fit the entire TV screen with no black border anywhere.
          3. Zoom in at a level to remove any black borders.

Comment

Working...