X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lpedro
    • Jul 2007

bose lifestyle

Hi,
    I want to buy a Bose LifeStyle in US to import to switzerland.
    In swiss we use 220v.

Can i use it in Europe?

Thanks in advance
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Stuff sold in USA is 110v. Find a European supplier.
    Gary D

Comment

• lpedro
      • Jul 2007

the price in europe is the double than US, it's for that reason i want to buy one in US.

Have you got some extra information?

Comment

• Gary D
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

You could buy US stuff but then you would need voltage converters to run the audio equipment. This would NOT be a good idea. They would probably cause interference with your audio equipment.
        Gary D

Comment

• RFBurns
          To Infinity And Byond
          • May 2006

You could use a simple step-down transformer that will take the 220vac and bump it down to 110-120vac. Most modern electronic stuff can handle the 10hz cycle difference of US 60hz and Europe's 50hz. The transformer just has to be able to handle the current required by the audio gear, which should be doable.

Buy online wide range of heavy duty CE Certified 110v to 220v and 50 Hz 60Hz Step Up/Down Voltage Converter transformers, AC DC power converters, Plug Adapters, Universal Power Strips, Surge protectors, power inverters for 110 volt to 220-240 volt countries. Large quantities in stock. Ships same day

5 Year Warranty on Certified 220 Volt to 110 Volt Step down voltage power converter and transformers with built-in voltage regulator. Guaranteed low prices and same-day shipping. You need a Step-Down Transformer when using 110v devices from the USA overseas with 220v power. Wide range 100 watts to 20,000 Watts.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• olyteddy
            • Nov 2006

I just looked at the installation manual for the top shelf one and it says all you need is the appropriate power cord. BOSE seems to have guides for most of their overpriced stuff. You might want to check the tuning range of the receiver section and the video standards it handles though.
            Last edited by olyteddy; 20 Jul 2007, 01:03 PM. Reason: Afterthought.

Comment

• MikeyBK
              Digital Video Maniac
              • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by olyteddy
              BOSE ...............most of their overpriced stuff.
              These 'cheap' Bose I just got, pumps out some thunderous sounds!!...

Not always overpriced...
              MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
              Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
              ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
              Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
              XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
              Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
              Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
              *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
              *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• NightTran
                King of Digital Video
                King of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by MikeyBK
                These 'cheap' Bose I just got, pumps out some thunderous sounds!!...

Not always overpriced...
                those look great I may have to go to Sam club again :

Thanks
                sigpic

Comment

• lpedro
                  • Jul 2007

Lifestyle have it got one 110v-220v switch on back?

Comment

• toomanycats
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2005

I have never heard a Bose system that does not sound muffled. The long throw those speakers use to get the midrange sound loses information in the process and the bass always sounds muffled, in an out of phase way, IMHO.

Comment

• RFBurns
                      To Infinity And Byond
                      • May 2006

Originally Posted by toomanycats
                      I have never heard a Bose system that does not sound muffled. The long throw those speakers use to get the midrange sound loses information in the process and the bass always sounds muffled, in an out of phase way, IMHO.

These sound systems rely on waveguide techniques. The speakers within the units have tuned "tunnels" that help focus the soundwaves in specific directions. However the sound waveguide has two serious limits.

One limit is the fact that soundwaves are so large that you would need a huge room just to accomidate the waveguide for the frequencies involved. So these units use what is known as "fractional waveguides". That is they use a tiny fraction of the size of waveguide required that is multiplyable to the whole number, or for clarity sake...a 1/4 wavelength guide compared to a full-wavelength guide for a given frequency.

As frequency increases, the wavelength decreases in size and vise-versa. Since audio frequencies are much lower than radio or light frequencies, the wavelengths are incredibly huge and would make building these audio devices impractical.

Here is an example....a frequency of 100Mhz at a full-wavelength would be aprox 9.8 meters in length, a 1/2 wavelength would be aprox 4.68 meters. This is a radio signal. Now lets look at a much lower frequency. Good ol AM radio frequencies....lets try 1Mhz or 1000Khz, the full wavelength size would be 585 meters in length!!!! Shall we see what an audio frequency wavelength would be for lets say.......1khz?!!!

For the curious....1Khz audio at full wavelength would be...585,500 meters!

There is NO WAY that your going to fit a waveguide at 585 thousand, 500 meters in size into your typical living room!!

Shall we try the low frequencies for audio...say 40hz??!!!

You get the idea.

These Bose systems and many others use fractional waveguide techniques to bring these huge numbers down to size. And because of that fact, the efficiency of the fractional waveguide is very very weak.

Even a full sized speaker cabinet with a 20" woofer driver is not a full wavelength emitter, however one can see how it works when taking different sized speaker drivers and hearing the differences. A 20" woofer will move more air than a 8" woofer. Same is true with midrange and tweeter frequencies. I would not want to be standing next to a full wavelength woofer pumping out 40hz at 90db spl!!!! (Sound Pressure Level) That woofer would be as big as a 4 bdrm house!!!

The phase cancellation TMC mentioned above is the result of the limitations of the fractional waveguides used in these little systems. The waveguide cannot cover the entire frequency spectrum of audio so the waveguides focus on only parts of the audio spectrum. When an audio signal goes outside of the range of the waveguide, the sound will phase cancel and you get a muffled or "nulled-out" sound. One can experiment with this by simply walking past one or two of these units placed side by side with the same audio signal. Room size, and things within the room also hamper with sound waves and can cause the same results as what happens to rf signals when encountering buildings, mountians and other obstructions...it is called "multi-path", where the signal, rf or audio and even light, gets bounced around between the obstructions and you get multiple paths of the same signal arriving at the listening point at different time domains thus causing cancellation. In FM radio it is heard as if the signal is fading in and out, in audio it sounds like a barrel or at one point in the room the sound is not as loud as it is in another part of the room.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• MikeyBK
                        Digital Video Maniac
                        • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by toomanycats
                        What it is that I like about Bose speakers, is it's ability to handle crisp bass despite it's small size. So not sure why you experienced 'muffled bass', but these little speakers thumps my bedroom, even at half volume. Perhaps you heard some blown or damaged Bose??

And as for RFBurns....what!?!?!?...LOL

Not too sure about your tech talk, but IMHO my Bose crank...and yes, it fills the entire room with crisp bass, midrange, and tweeter sound (that's my extent of audio tech talk...lol) !!...

MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
                        Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
                        ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
                        Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
                        XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
                        Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
                        Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
                        *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
                        *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• RFBurns
                          To Infinity And Byond
                          • May 2006

What it is that I like about Bose speakers, is it's ability to handle crisp bass despite it's small size. So not sure why you experienced 'muffled bass', but these little speakers thumps my bedroom, even at half volume. Perhaps you heard some blown or damaged Bose??
                          This is the effect of using tuned waveguide on a small speaker. It basically takes small and turns it into big.

And as for RFBurns....what!?!?!?...LOL
                          Huh?

Not too sure about your tech talk, but IMHO my Bose crank...and yes, it fills the entire room with crisp bass, midrange, and tweeter sound (that's my extent of audio tech talk...lol) !!...

You understand the "tech talk" perfectly if you agree the small system you have fills the entire room with full range sound. It demonstrates the effect of tuned waveguide in front of a speaker driver.

As with any emitter device, speaker or antenna, the surroundings will affect the end results. Place the system in an empty room and it will sound hollow. Place the system in a room with some furniture, carpeted floor, things on the walls etc, it wont sound hollow, but sound solid..depending on what absorbing ratio the materials in the furniture, wall hangings, carpet etc have.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• olyteddy
                            • Nov 2006

@RFBurns, your 'wavelength' babble is just that.
                            For the curious....1Khz audio at full wavelength would be...585,500 meters!

There is NO WAY that your going to fit a waveguide at 585 thousand, 500 meters in size into your typical living room!!
                            Fortunately you don't have to fit it in. That length might be true for a 1KHz Radio Wave (travelling at 186,000 Miles Per Second) but last I looked sound only travels at about 1100 Feet Per Second, yielding a wavelength of about 1.1 Feet. BTW, the wavelength of a 40 Hz audio wave is about 28.25 Feet...For the curious: http://www.mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm

PS, I have a 1/2 wavelength folded corner bass horn (a Frasier brand from the 50's) so I know a 'waveguide' will indeed fit in a reasonable sized room.
                            Last edited by olyteddy; 24 Jul 2007, 12:50 PM. Reason: After Thought

Comment

• RFBurns
                              To Infinity And Byond
                              • May 2006

Originally Posted by olyteddy
                              @RFBurns, your 'wavelength' babble is just that.

Fortunately you don't have to fit it in. That length might be true for a 1KHz Radio Wave (travelling at 186,000 Miles Per Second) but last I looked sound only travels at about 1100 Feet Per Second, yielding a wavelength of about 1.1 Feet. BTW, the wavelength of a 40 Hz audio wave is about 28.25 Feet...For the curious: http://www.mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm

PS, I have a 1/2 wavelength folded corner bass horn (a Frasier brand from the 50's) so I know a 'waveguide' will indeed fit in a reasonable sized room.
                              That is flawed. If your rescource is stating 40 cycles per second wave is only 28.25 feet in length then explain please the wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum which includes sound waves that are below radio frequency waves. If sound waves which begin at 1hz and end at 22khz how does your statement hold any merit when you take into consideration (and using 1/2 wavelength formula of 436 / frequency = wavelength) that your sound wave at 40hz is 28.25 feet. (wavelength formula taken from ARRL handbook).

Not only that, your corner bass horn is what again.....FOLDED and what size....1/2. What is the folding ratio 10:1?...20:1?? But lets apply 40hz to the formula for 1/2 wavelength and see wha that is...

436 divided by 40 cycles per second (0.0004Mhz) = 1,090,000

Thats using a simple calculator.
                              Babble indeed.

Last edited by RFBurns; 25 Jul 2007, 01:12 AM.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...