X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisNightingal
    • Jul 2007

DVD Authoring software for cutting together a new DVD

Hi everybody,

I have done a search but couldn't find anything as of yet, so here is my I would like to find out:

I want to do a project where I take an existing DVD film and basically editted by adding footage and removing footage to create my own cut (kinda like a director's cut) but haven't found anything that does the job well enough.

I tried a trial version of a ULead product but it didn't really do a great job.

I want to be able to take an existing DVD, import it into some program so I can chop and change it while maintaining the full amount of video/sound quality and then burn it back to DVD. I don't care if it results in spanning across multiple DVDs.

(Oh in case it's a forum rule - the project is purely for my own amusement!!)
    (And in case anyone is wondering what the project is - I want to take the special edition of David Cronenberg's "The Fly" and put the deleted scenes back into the main film - Oh and cut a scene out of "The Fly 2"!!!!)

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Anyone got any suggestions as to what I should use?
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

You can use software like TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA), DVD-Lab or Vegas+DVD, the latter 2 are considered to be better DVD authoring tools, but TDA might be more accessible.

You might lose the menus, however, but all of these tools will allow you to create new menus.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• ChrisNightingal
      • Jul 2007

Hi there admin,

Thanks for the reply - I will look out for those bits. I'm not fussed about loosing the menus - it's only the main feature I'm interested in.

Thanks again,

Chris

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Just want to add that I don't think DVD-Lab is suited to video editing (I don't have much experience with it), and it's always better to use a proper video editor prior to authoring. But tools like TDA will have built in editors that work pretty well for most things, while Vegas+DVD has professional editing support (might be a bit too professional though, if not in ease of use, then in price).
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• paglamon
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

Videoredo Plus IMO is the best in the business of simple cutting/joining of mpeg files.But you will still need some authoring program,like TDA ,to make the final DVD.
          sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• ChrisNightingal
            • Jul 2007

Thanks for all the replies.

I tried a trial version of Song Vegas and it seems really good - very easy to use and has plenty of options when creating the DVD Mpeg 2 files

Only thing I wasn't too sure about was importing the DVD files. Now for my project I copied the DVD files to my hard-disk (which were the massive great VOB files) but Vegas doesn't have an option to import a DVD. I was able to import the individual VOB files but found that the last 2 frames seemed to be blacked out which meant that when they were joined together there was a couple of blacked out frames - anyone else found this or knows a better way to import the raw DVD files?

Thanks again,

Chris
            Last edited by admin; 23 Jul 2007, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...