• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pfloyd
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jun 2007

Dust behind viewfinder

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but I have a small problem.
    I have a Canon Elura 100 and a Canon ZR800. The Elura has been sitting unused for a few weeks while I was checking out the ZR800.
    I used the Elura and notice that while looking thru the viewfinder, there were several spots. I cleaned the UV filter and the lens, but the spots were still there. I then cleaned the viewfinder and the spots were still there. I used a magnifying glass and flashlight and noticed that the spots were on the inside of the viewfinder.
    Any suggestions short of sending it to Canon on how to clean the back of the viewfinder? By the way, the video that is recorded does not show the spots. I know that this is not really a biggy, but it does get annoying!
    Thanks....
    You raise the blade,
    You make the change,
    You rearange me till I'm sane.
    You lock the door, throw away
    the key,
    There's someone in my head
    and it's not me.
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Sounds like the debris got behind the protective layer in front of the viewfinder screen. Try one of two things, the first being the easiest.

1. Find a can of compressed air (found at any electronic store like Radio Shack) and blow air onto the screen. This may dislodge the specks of dirt.

2. Take apart the viewfinder assembly and carefully remove the screen from its mount and use a cotton swab to wipe the dirt away.

Take notes during dissassembly so that it will be easy to re-assemble. There may be very tiny screws involved so watch for those. The silver ones are easy to keep track of, the black ones can get lost easily simply because they are so darned small and when dropped onto dark colored carpet. Then the next time someone vacumes the area, "snap, ping, pow" and then you know where that lost screw went!

I recommend putting down white colored construction paper on your work surface so that no matter the color of the screws or other parts, they wont cloak themselves once they fall onto the white paper and can be easily seen.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...