X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moviebuff72
    • Aug 2007

DVD-R and DVD+R ?

Can anyone tell me the difference of these two?
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Dvd+R, if your drive supports it, can be booktyped to Dvd-Rom, which is the profile of a commercial Dvd, thereby fooling most players in to thinking that is what it is.

Comment

• blutach
      Not a god of digital video
      • Oct 2004

While -R disks have about 6Mb more on them.

In the past, +R showed reflectivity that was more in line with DVD-ROMs (commercial disks), but I think this distinction has disappeared.

Regards
      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• moviebuff72
        • Aug 2007

The weird part that I have learne dis DVD-r seems to play on more DVD players after a burn. DVD+r tends to not play on some devices it seems, maybe I am wrong but it appears that way.

Comment

• NightTran
          King of Digital Video
          King of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

because you probably did not make it to dvd-rom when you burn?
          sigpic

Comment

• moviebuff72
            • Aug 2007

Originally Posted by NightTran
            because you probably did not make it to dvd-rom when you burn?

???? Please explain, thanks.

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

???? Please explain, thanks.
              Refer to post #2. Which program do you use to burn? What is your drive & does it support bitsetting?

Comment

• moviebuff72
                • Aug 2007

I seen post #2 but that really does not tell me much. I have burned dvd-r and dvd +r and both have worked on my DVD player. I am saying the last few that I burned usind Maxwell dvd+r did not work on my DVD player but the cheap DVD-r did. It is weird how some work and some dont, really bugs the hell out of me. Example: I have Maxwell DVD+r and they work but this new batch of Maxwell's did not, very strange indeed!

P.S. I use Convertxtodvd program to convert and burn.

Comment

• beachbumm33
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Feb 2007

What is your drive & does it support bitsetting?
                  important info to answer

Comment

• locoeng
                    Who Farted?
                    • Dec 2005

Example: I have Maxwell DVD+r and they work but this new batch of Maxwell's did not, very strange indeed!
                    Not strange at all. Maxell uses different manufacturers to make their discs for them. I would suspect the ones that you able to use were made in Japan, while the new batch came from taiwan. A good rule of thumb is to look for MIJ on the label and stay away from Made in Taiwan...the exception being Verbatim which are OK if made in Taiwan, Japan or Singapore.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                    Walt Kelly

Comment

• moviebuff72
                      • Aug 2007

Originally Posted by locoeng
                      Not strange at all. Maxell uses different manufacturers to make their discs for them. I would suspect the ones that you able to use were made in Japan, while the new batch came from taiwan. A good rule of thumb is to look for MIJ on the label and stay away from Made in Taiwan...the exception being Verbatim which are OK if made in Taiwan, Japan or Singapore.
                      That is very interesting, I never took that into account. Verbatim and sony use Taiwan as well. Hmmm.... I did not look at label on either Maxwell discs so I cannot tell if they were from Japan or Taiwan but will keep that in mind next time I pick some up, thanks.

Comment

• moviebuff72
                        • Aug 2007

My dvd rom is: NEW LITEON 20X LIGHTSCRIBE DVD BURNER DUAL LAYER Vista and I haven't a clue if it supports bit-settings.

Comment

• locoeng
                          Who Farted?
                          • Dec 2005

It Does...Use Imgburn for booktyping/burning.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                          Walt Kelly

Comment

• soup
                            Just Trying To Help
                            • Nov 2005

You might have to use the LiteON booktype utility. Check that your drives's ID# is on the list that it supports. For instance mine is LH-20A1S & it did work for mine, except with Nero.

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

without a log there's a lot of speculation and wheel spinning, big waste of time and posts

need firmware of your burner, burn speed used and the mid code of the blanks

convert to hard drive, check conversion, burn with imgburn, post log

Comment

Working...