Received Roxio easy media creator 9 suite as a gift.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrx10
    • May 2006

Received Roxio easy media creator 9 suite as a gift.

I have the option of returning this to Best Buy if I don't open it. I'm not a noob to video transcoding/ripping/burning and have all the basic freeware which works quite well, Decryptor, Shrink, RIFM, ImgBurn, VobEdit, IFOedit, PgcEdit, Titlewriter, VirtualDub, FixVTS, Super, DVDflick, etc, etc,etc, and I'm satisfied with EAC for burning CDs, and EAC/lame for MP3s. My question is should I install Roxio. I've got an older stripped down version of it that I received from NewEgg with my NEC dvd burner and have never really used it except for making a few VCDs for friends, and it made some strange files, RoxioPlasma is one. I've been reading a lot of bad reviews about this software on Amazon. Just wondered if anyone has this software installed and if it's given them any trouble? (xp pro machine, pentium 4, with about 3/4 gig of PC800.
  • roxann
    • Sep 2007

don't be freaked out by the amazon review. i happen to think they are all nero people who just want to bash roxio.
    do you have vista? emc10 would probably be better but 9 is good too. i think there is a patch. check out forum.roxio.com

Comment

• Dan
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Dec 2005

From the other perspective, I use most of the freebies you listed jrx10 and IMO you should return Roxio, take the cash and continue using the programs you are currently using.

Comment

• roxann
        • Sep 2007

that's true too.

Comment

• jrx10
          • May 2006

don't be freaked out by the amazon review. i happen to think they are all nero people who just want to bash roxio.
          do you have vista?
          Yeah, that's pretty much the way I feel about the A/V and Software FW forums I visit. Too many corporate shills posting BS to sell product. As far as vista goes, no way I'm upgrading unless I buy a new box with Vista on board. The only reason I got Roxio is that I was considering getting DVDRemake pro and she couldn't find it retail. What I really absolutely can't stand is this audio/video software (especially WMP 10 and 11 and anything associated with Real-player) that try to take over everything including changing your file associations when you install them, and especially the software that tries to connect to their servers every surfing moment which is probably the best reason to run a SW firewall. Just total bush league when installed software does this. Of the freeware digital video programs that I use only super was pain with it's outbound connections. I just wish they all worked as well as decrypter and shrink did when they came out.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

let's review a little ancient history on poxio, they have been easy cd, then after making that name so infamous they changed to roxio, same story they then became sonic and a host of other names. when you look at what software installs the most filter drivers that tend to get corrupt causing bad problems where even the drives disappear from my computer, one set of programs stands alone at the top of the dung heap.

nero is the best all-in-one bloatware by far, but even it takes a lot of loving care to work right

I used easy cd for over 3 years and it's best feature was jewel case insert printing.

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

let's review a little ancient history on poxio, they have been easy cd, then after making that name so infamous they changed to roxio, same story they then became sonic and a host of other names. when you look at what software installs the most filter drivers that tend to get corrupt causing bad problems where even the drives disappear from my computer, one set of programs stands alone at the top of the dung heap.

nero is the best all-in-one bloatware by far, but even it takes a lot of loving care to work right

I used easy cd for over 3 years and it's best feature was jewel case insert printing
              That was beautiful! You must be feeling romantic tonight!

Pretty much my experiences too; I started out w/ Roxio, ended up w/ Nero.
              Guess I haven't "loved" it enough, but I'm getting there. I hate the "clunky" way I have to go about creating CD inserts...but, I have learned to "live" with it.

Comment

• jrx10
                • May 2006

Let's review a little ancient history on poxio
                Poxio, ROTFLMAO. That settles it. it's going back. Thx for the comments.

Comment

• Rich86
                  • Nov 2005

Roxio - as criticized by a Nero User?

Originally Posted by jrx10
                  Poxio, ROTFLMAO. That settles it. it's going back. Thx for the comments.
                  Take comments from folks who are dedicated Nero users (moderators or not) with a grain of salt the size of the Pacific Ocean.

I've used Adaptec/Roxio/Sonic software all the way back to version 3.5. I'm currently running 9.1. It runs just fine and is very powerful. Nobody changed names of anything due to software brand name reputation - Adaptec decided to spin off their software division - it became Roxio - and Sonic decided to buy out Roxio - but the product line has retained its Roxio brand name, although 100% owned by Sonic.

The software packages you listed seem very much directed at ripping and burning commercially produced dvd's. That surely is not the primary function of Roxio software, although it has pretty powerful editing and burning capabilities. By all means stick to what you have if that is your purpose.

If you want to process home-made videos into professional looking dvd's, make backups of your computer files, burn data discs (cd or dvd), burn music discs (cd's or dvd - copies and custom), make customized labels, etc. - then you might consider using a package such as EMC9 or 10 by Roxio/Sonic. I suggest you look carefully at the capabilities of EMC9 - and see if it matches up with what your needs are - and decide based on that.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

post a roxio/sonic log and a quality scan of the burn with their scanner and let's see how good a program it is?

actually nero has few advocates around here, imgburn is the prefered program
                    Last edited by Chewy; 9 Sep 2007, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Dan
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Dec 2005

@Rich86 I posted my response based on the free programs listed and how well they perform compared to roxio IMO. I haven't used nero in 2 or 3 years aside from CD-Speed,LOL.

Comment

• Rich86
                        • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                        post a roxio/sonic log and a quality scan of the burn with their scanner and let's see how good a program it is?

actually nero has few advocates around here, imgburn is the prefered program
                        I am also a great fan of imgburn - and as I said in my post, if all the op cares about is ripping/burning dvd's - there is little need for a comprehensive suite like Roxio or Nero.

And we both know scans can be horribly misleading - and have much more to do with the media and burner than the program. But, the Roxio burn engine has performed admirably in my system, using most any decent quality media, with long lasting quality results - Benq (pata) and Lite-On (sata) burners. But then imgburn and clonedvd2 work perfectly well in my system also.

Comment

Working...