Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GRAYMATTER
    • Nov 2007

dvd glitch

hello to everyone, newbie here, hoping there are a couple technonerds that can help with a problem i'm having.
    on a dvd movie i recently purchased i am getting a glitch in the same location on two different computers and one dvd player, but on my second player it plays right thru like it isn't there.
    the scene where it glitches is an explosion with loud noise. the screen sort of freezes for a second and then plays on.
    now i know that all equipment is not created equal but can someone tell me if there is a way to fix this, i.e. software or hardware upgrade or whatever.
    also why, if the movie plays, doesn't it glitch on both players
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

Is it about halfway thru the movie - it could be the layer break. But that sounds too simple, and no-one these days would put a break in a high action sequence (or at least they shouldn't).

It might be the DVD is not good. Test it out with Ner0 CD-DVD Speed.

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• RFBurns
      To Infinity And Byond
      • May 2006

Its quite possible that you are encountering the layer change right at that scene and some players/drives pause just a split second as it changes layers. This is because the drive/player does not have..A: enough buffer memory to make the layer change...or B: the buffer memory doesnt clear fast enough to make a seemless layer change.

Another possibility is the particular scene may have the player/drive decoder working hard, again occupying buffer memory and controller processing.

Your second player probably has a better buffer memory as well as a slightly faster read time and processor speed than the others.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• GRAYMATTER
        • Nov 2007

Doubt it's layer change, it occurs 2:45 minutes into movie.

i'm sorry i neglated to mention the player it plays good on is a stand alone panasonic recorder/player.

let me ask you this, if i were to buy another stand alone unit what would i look for in a unit that would overcome this problem. also as far as the two computers, how would i upgrade the buffer speed? i'm computer stupid.

Comment

• RFBurns
          To Infinity And Byond
          • May 2006

Originally Posted by GRAYMATTER
          Doubt it's layer change, it occurs 2:45 minutes into movie.

i'm sorry i neglated to mention the player it plays good on is a stand alone panasonic recorder/player.

let me ask you this, if i were to buy another stand alone unit what would i look for in a unit that would overcome this problem. also as far as the two computers, how would i upgrade the buffer speed? i'm computer stupid.
          I dont think there is any way to upgrade the buffer memory in a disc drive. But you can replace the drive with one that has a larger buffer memory, most burner drives these days have a good chunk of buffer memory that is used for both read and write operations.

Sometimes activating the DMA option for the drive may help, it may make it worse. Look at the drive properties options to change the DMA setting.

For a stand alone player/recorder, see if you can find the unit's specs on the web before deciding on a brand.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

sounds like a bad disk coupled with an marginal dvd player and a premium dvd player

error correction is designed into dvd technology, some players have better error correction

return the disk

Comment

• GRAYMATTER
              • Nov 2007

rfburns wrote...For a stand alone player/recorder, see if you can find the unit's specs on the web before deciding on a brand.

that's what i mean, what am i looking for in the specs that would eliminate problems like this? what important elements should i look for in a stand alone player?
              Last edited by GRAYMATTER; 23 Nov 2007, 12:37 AM. Reason: change wording

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

my old toshiba's played almost everything

Comment

• GRAYMATTER
                  • Nov 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
                  sounds like a bad disk coupled with an marginal dvd player and a premium dvd player

error correction is designed into dvd technology, some players have better error correction

return the disk
                  CHEWY,

I hope you get this, i was trying to send you a pm but was unable to due to my low post count.
                  you da man!!! you were right on the money about error correction and proves out why this movie played flawlessly on two different panasonic units and faltered on a lot of other units
                  i've read on another forum a whole discussion on the superiority of panasonic's error correction ability versus other equipment and i got that info by simply typing into my browser "dvd error correction"
                  i'm still looking for what exactly panasonic does that makes the playback so error free compared to other units. i was told by a panasonic tech that it could be that they do a lot of firmware upgrades to thier products but i don't know if that's the whole answer.

thanx

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

well my old/ancient lg4163B dvd burner has the best error correction I have ever seen in a computer drive, it will read almost any disk, especially if I slow it down to 1X, standalone players only read at 1X and are usually superior to computer drives, disks that play often cannot be read back in a computer

cheap older POS standalones can hardly read a perfect factory disk

error scans of new factory disks show the real story, when you read the specs on dvd it's a wonder they work at all

Comment

Working...