• Show
Clear All
  • php111
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Aug 2007

Does everyone recommend DivX or XviD

Hello gang,

First of I thought this topic would go here cause it is dealing with choices between formats and the DivX/XviD sections was about encoding/conversion, playback, etc. Second I am going to make this a 2 option poll, if it's ok? If it's not needed then a mod can remove it. What format does everyone recommend DivX 6.8 or XviD?

Thank you.
    DivX
    0%
    XviD
    0%
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

I prefer xvid. I haven't used divx for about 6 month or so. But back then IMO xvid was faster and gave better overall results. There is a codec comparison on doom9 forum but it is a little old.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

I consider xvid opensource and divx proprietary, realmedia and quicktime come to mind as the worst examples of such software.

Comment

• php111
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Aug 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
        I consider xvid opensource and divx proprietary, realmedia and quicktime come to mind as the worst examples of such software.

OK thank you guys. Will XviD most likely play better on a DVD player better then divx will?

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Both DivX and XviD are just implementations of MPEG-4 ASP, so there shouldn't be compatibility issues between them (you can easily use DivX to decode XviD files and vice versa). I like XviD better mainly because the XviD encoder gives more encoding options and is a bit more efficient.
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

and I forgot to mention xvid is free

Comment

• php111
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Aug 2007

Originally Posted by admin
              Both DivX and XviD are just implementations of MPEG-4 ASP, so there shouldn't be compatibility issues between them (you can easily use DivX to decode XviD files and vice versa). I like XviD better mainly because the XviD encoder gives more encoding options and is a bit more efficient.
              Thank you for that info. Let's get a little off topic. Admin. You can forget about that email I sent you cause I finally recived the email change but thank you again.

Alright, so it looks like I am taking XviD.

Comment

Working...