I need tips on editing footage taken from live events.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShinyCreek
    • Jan 2008

I need tips on editing footage taken from live events.

Dear Everyone,
    I have a big interest in video making. To persue this I have decided to film my robotics team(http://www.usfirst.org/ http://www.team1619.org/). Over the past four years I have been filming everything we do. Every spring we have a six week long build season in which we have to design, build, program, and test a robot to compete in a certain game. It is really hard to explain everything so if you're really curious check out the websites. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have tips for making a video from live events such as this. My goal is to make a Mythbusters-type video that has a story and is interesting to watch. The past years I have only made a video that is just cool shots and music.

I have been filming almost everything I can. I have also been interviewing members of the team regularly. So, any tips for the editing process? How about filming? I know a rule of thumb is to film everything, and then throw out the stuff you don't need later.

I really need help because I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. Anyone, please?

Many thanks,
    Shiny Creek
    Last edited by ShinyCreek; 13 Jan 2008, 05:00 AM. Reason: typo
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

The basic rule of thumb is when you assemble the shots you want for the final product to maintain continuity. In other words, you want it to flow nicely from shot to shot and not seem as if there are large gaps from one shot sequence to the next.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• POTCjedi
      • Jan 2008

I am an amature filmmaker and had a lot of behind-the-scenes footage left over that I wanted to keep but had no idea how to go about editing it. I went to my library and rented some books on documentary filmmaking. I only read the chapters on the editing process but it really helped.

Comment

• ShinyCreek
        • Jan 2008

Originally Posted by POTCjedi
        I am an amature filmmaker and had a lot of behind-the-scenes footage left over that I wanted to keep but had no idea how to go about editing it. I went to my library and rented some books on documentary filmmaking. I only read the chapters on the editing process but it really helped.
        hey good idea, thanks

Comment

• ShinyCreek
          • Jan 2008

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=6642381293593919607&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>
          Here is what I did with the raw footage so far. Tell me what you think.
          Last edited by ShinyCreek; 24 Jan 2008, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• ShinyCreek
            • Jan 2008

Feedback please?

Comment

• videomaker
              • Feb 2008

feedback

The video is a good start. Here is a website where you can learn more about making video. There are over 100 videos of tips and tricks. Check it out, they sure helped me with my videos.

Comment

Working...