Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reginna
    • Jan 2008

Question

Ok I am very new here. I hope I am posting this in the right forum.
    Your going to think this is strange but here goes.

I have a business making home dvd's (ie; picture music home video etc). I don't deal with DVD Movies this is all for personal stuff. 8mm to DVD VHS to DVD etc. So far I have not encounter any problems with the DVD's playing on my clients DVD player. However around Christmas I had an order come in converting 8mm cassette home movies to dvd. I did it in my usual way using dazzle and taking it straight to DVD. She brought them all back saying they did not work. They work on my phillips DVD player, she has a zenith.

In another forum I was told to rip them to ISO and then convert them to MPEG. I cannot afford to get this wrong the second time. Does anyone have any advice for me.
    I have
    Roxio
    DVD Decrypter
    Dazzle
    Pinnacle
    (sigh) I am blonde I am confused)
    Thanks in advance for your help
  • Reginna
    • Jan 2008

one more thing her DVD player is a Zenith and she said it is not that old. which could be anything from now to 5 years.

Comment

• NightTran
      King of Digital Video
      King of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

when you burn do you have a burn log? may want to use imgburn not dvdd

could be you did not book type from R+ to Dvd Rom ( if you use R + ) if you use R- some old players may not play this type
      sigpic

Comment

• Reginna
        • Jan 2008

I used the +R the first time but dd not burn it as DVD-ROM. On my Roxio the closest I have to that is DVD-RAM, is the the same thing? I am sorry to sound so ignorant on this. I am sort of in a tail spin, I have not ever had this problem before.

Comment

• NightTran
          King of Digital Video
          King of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

if your clience have a new dvd players, most of them now play anything, if not look on the bottom right of the old imgburn there is a picture like an open book? look for your burner type and change the option to make R+ to dvd Rom
          sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

even using good software, a premium dvd burner and premium blanks you can't guarantee
            a playable disk on a cruddy standalone player

a friend has one that only plays dvd-r's no matter what

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

my mom had one that do not play R+ or - just dvd-rom
              sigpic

Comment

• Reginna
                • Jan 2008

Is DVD-ROM a type of DVD or it is a DVD format? The only format I can find in any program close to that is DVD-RAM.
                I just did a DVD from Disc/DiscImage. I will take it to her tomorrow and see if it works for her. Will have prayer meeting tonight!

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

when you get time try to read up on Imgburn

it's far better than that Roxio program for burning dvd's

see the links here in blank media and burning

Comment

• ed klein
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2004

In addition to what everyone has already mentioned, some new upscale Samsung DVD players will not play DVD-ROM build disks from DVD+R disks, I have had to re-burn quite a few of my DVD-ROM built disks (DVD-5 4.7gb) and (DVD-9 8.5gb) back to DVD+R media in order for them to load on my new upscale 1080P DVD player.

Consider getting rid of dazzle and go from your VHS tapes on your VCR to a standard definition DVD recorder with a hard drive, built in editing software, and a built in DVD-5 optical drive, this setup will let you go from VHS tape to DVD-5 (4.7gb) with no problems. The built-in software is great for editing out anything you want on your hard drive before you make your final burn to a DVD-5 blank media. Use your best quality video connections for standard defination usually S-VIDEO for VCR and DVD recorder.

Last edited by ed klein; 24 Jan 2008, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• soup
                      Just Trying To Help
                      • Nov 2005

What kind of optical drive or drives do you have?

Comment

• Reginna
                        • Jan 2008

Originally Posted by soup
                        What kind of optical drive or drives do you have?
                        So Sorry for being so long in replying.
                        Here are the optical drives that I have
                        HP DVD Writer DVD 420 I
                        Lite On DVD RW LH-16W 1 P

Comment

• Reginna
                          • Jan 2008

DVD Recorder

Originally Posted by ed klein
                          In addition to what everyone has already mentioned, some new upscale Samsung DVD players will not play DVD-ROM build disks from DVD+R disks, I have had to re-burn quite a few of my DVD-ROM built disks (DVD-5 4.7gb) and (DVD-9 8.5gb) back to DVD+R media in order for them to load on my new upscale 1080P DVD player.

Consider getting rid of dazzle and go from your VHS tapes on your VCR to a standard definition DVD recorder with a hard drive, built in editing software, and a built in DVD-5 optical drive, this setup will let you go from VHS tape to DVD-5 (4.7gb) with no problems. The built-in software is great for editing out anything you want on your hard drive before you make your final burn to a DVD-5 blank media. Use your best quality video connections for standard defination usually S-VIDEO for VCR and DVD recorder.

What do you mean by standard definition DVD recorder with hard drive? My husband is wanting to upgrade my equipment to handle the transfers easier.

Comment

• blutach
                            Not a god of digital video
                            • Oct 2004

Make sure your converted files are DVD compliant - some players are pickier than others.

Read and implement the Golden Rules of Burning.

Regards
                            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

Working...