X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jila
    • May 2008

DivX Connected HD Media Player

Hi,
    I'm new here and wanted to get your thoughts. I'm going back and forward between a couple of somewhat similar devices. One that i have been following is the DivX Connected HD media player from D-Link. I think it's a pretty cool platform with some hacks around to playback a wide selection of media and audio formats and already has a large selection of JavaScript/HTML web services/plug-ins available. I also think that it's wireless. So not sure if anybody looked into this so far?
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

I'm not sure if getting one of these devices is better or getting a PS3, which also has network connected playback (via UPnP servers, including the free TVersity or WMP) and has DivX playback support, although probably not as well supported as the D-Link device (the Xbox 360 has better DivX support, but it's quite noisy). The PS3 also has Blu-ray and upscaled DVD playback, so it's good value if you don't have any of these devices already. And it has wireless G built in as well.

The problem with devices like the D-Link is that they don't do enough when compared to the PS3 or Xbox 360 (which also has Windows Media Center Extender functionalities, basically you can do everything on the console as you could Media Center, including viewing TV on the 360 through your PC's TV card and scheduling recordings on your PC).
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• NightTran
      King of Digital Video
      King of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

sorry but does PS3 or Xbox 360 do they support MKV file ( like I burn a MKV to a dvd disk?)

Thanks and sorry
      sigpic

Comment

• disc_man
        Wagonwheel
        • May 2008

hi

Xbox 360 and playstation both supports Matroska.

cheers

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Actually I don't think MKV plays on either, but it's very easy to convert MKV to a format that is playable, assuming it is using a H.264 video stream that is compliant. There are tools like mkv2vob or tsMuxeR that can do it to some degree.
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...