Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewMexico2008
    • May 2008

Camera Selection Advice Needed

It's been years since I dabbled in video and have totally lost touch with this technology, so I'm hoping the experts here can give me a little guidance before I spend my money.

I am wondering which video camera should be selected to be used on a vechicle mount. The make it a bit more complicated, it would be used to record offroad easy jeep trails, which, although not rock climbing adventures, are quite bumpy.

It would have to have these features:

1. Ability to accept a glass filter or polarized filter to protect the lens in the event a rock should hit that area of the camera.

2. Have a wide angle lens attachment available.

3. Ability to record at least 3 hours; I'm thinking some kind of flash media would be more resistent to shock that a hard drive, but, frankly, I'm not sure on this question.

Basically, you get get a look at the jeep and snap up the concept on this new web page: http://www.easyjeeptrails.com.

These videos would be posted YouTube style.

I'm also curious about video editing. I would need the capability to string together the best parts of the videos, of course, and to dub in a vocal narrative with the option to override the original sound track or to leave the original sound track playing at a subdued level under the voice narrative. Do most cameras ship with editing software these days, and are the features within the usual array of software features?

Thanks much in advance!
    Last edited by NewMexico2008; 12 May 2008, 09:25 AM.
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Your queries may be pertinent. But what have those links got to do with your question?
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• NewMexico2008
      • May 2008

I only put one link in the post so someone could get an idea of what I am trying to accomplish, but I see several others there that I didn't put there.

Comment

• NewMexico2008
        • May 2008

They were bracked [URL] tags in the code, however, so I got rid of all but the one I originally posted.

Comment

• paglamon
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

OK. As to the question about video editing, you can try Ulead Video Studio.It will easily do all the things you mentioned(i.e voice over narrative etc.).
          Regarding camera choice, you will find some very relevant information here:http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
          sigpic

Comment

• NewMexico2008
            • May 2008

Originally Posted by paglamon
            OK. As to the question about video editing, you can try Ulead Video Studio.It will easily do all the things you mentioned(i.e voice over narrative etc.).
            Regarding camera choice, you will find some very relevant information here:http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
            Thank you, I've been reading since receiving your reply and come to a few very tentative conculsions, anyway.

It would seem that MiniDV might be the best format for this application for a couple of reasons. One, DVDs or hard drives -- in other technology, at least -- are highly prone to disruption or complete failure when the equipment undergoes the kind frequent vibration what will be inherent in mounting the camera on a jeep. Two, just from a quick stab at researching the new video formats, it appears that MiniDV uses only a limited form of compression and predictive algorhyms compared to cameras that use memory sticks, DVDs, or hard drives, resulting in higher video quality.

I'm thinking start with something like the Canon Optura 50 in the $300 range until it's proven that my selected camera mount is not going to trash the camera every month or two, then move up to the Canon Vixia line for $700 more or so, then use the Vixia for landscape for the Optura for side shots or down shots for the driver narrative. Looking at other brands will be a good idea, of course. I've just had such good luck with my 5D SLR and their L lenses that it seemed a good brand to look at first.

Thanks for the links to the software. It started a search that led me to a software comparison chart. Looks like I'll have plenty of options to choose from for an editing tool.

Would you say I'm even vaguely on the right track here?
            Last edited by NewMexico2008; 12 May 2008, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• paglamon
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

Would you say I'm even vaguely on the right track here?
              You definitely are. Take a look at SONY HC 96E MiniDV cam also.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...