• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

POS - Cash Register - Software advice?

Okay, I kinda sorta got dragged into this one. A friend is opening a small business & since I know pc's, software, etc. (yeah, right)

they are asking what to do about the POS system. (Point of Sale)

This is a "Dollar Store" type business, 3000 sq. ft., turn key, already set up to go. (Mostly). They already have Quickbooks 2006 (Retail vers. I think) but that system uses a pc interface with a mouse/keyboard set to make the actual sales.

They want to go with a "standard cash register" setup that will also track inventory sales, etc. I really know nothing about this stuff at all. The Quickbooks guy told them that their software is not compatible with any type of standard cash register. Is this correct? Sounds kinda bogus to me, but then again, what do I know.

Any ideas at all? Suggestions? Comments? Again, the store is pretty much set up & ready to go, they could open the doors tomorrow, but they just don't care for the convoluted cash register system that they currently have.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

all the ones I know using that system have propritary software running on W98 computers, big chains have xp ones

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

What about the cash register interface? Can a register be "patched" into this thing? What about the hand held scanner/bar code reader? The guy doing this is very pc illiterate, they don't know what system (98 or xp) they are running. I am supposed to go look at it this week.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

You can take a look at best for business they actually have pos systems that are pc based. It all depends on how much they want to spend. I will try to dig up some web site that I use to do business with. If I can get a general price range mabe I can point you in the right direction.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

I talked to Quickbooks today, found out there is no easy/cheap answer. They offer no cash register set up (push button type) & their software won't interface with anything else. They do offer a touch screen software, but you have to buy a touch screen from another company. (Dell, etc.)

They either have to go with the inefficient setup they have now or shell out some *big* bucks for another system.

Moral of the story; It pays to do thorough research before buying into a "turnkey" company that says they are all setup & ready to go. The purchaser knows next to nothing about computers/systems/retail, & now they are finding out the hard way.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

It figures, probably a real cheap pos system at that.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...