X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KETAN
    • May 2002

Analog Hi8 to SVCD thru CCE

Hi,
    I captured a few clips with my Sony-analog handycam and transferred to my PC through my ATI card. These are in AVI format.
    I tried to convert them to MPEG2 for my SVCD through CCE 2.62 (or 2.5)
    The output is not very encouraging, may be I am missing some adjustments.
    Any suggestions, please.
    I have used successfully Tmpg but I am looking for slightly better quality then that, that is why CCE.
    Is this possible?
    Thanks
    KETAN
  • Mac Sidewinder
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Apr 2002

Try DVD2SVCD (it accepts avi input and supports cce). I use it on all my home videos and it does an excellent job. Find it at www.doom9.org.

Mac

Comment

• KETAN
      • May 2002

THANKS !!

I will try today as soon as I go home.

Of late I am facing one weird problem. I have ATI128PRO card which I have used to capture and make several vcds of my Hi8.

Now I am not able to capture the audio properly. It comes distorted.
      While capturing the sound is ok, but after captureing if I play the AVI it sounds too noisy and high frequency treble.

I am not able to find what went wrong. I have tried to capture from ATI media centre and virtualdub also.

Any tips???
      KETAN

Comment

• Mac Sidewinder
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Apr 2002

I have never had any experience with this card but isn't there a way to lower the input volume while capturing?

Mac

Comment

• KETAN
          • May 2002

Hi,
          Sorry Mac...but I could not figure out how to "put" avi in dvd2svcd.
          Dvd2svcd just does not accept it.
          Sorry to bother you.
          KETAN

Comment

• KETAN
            • May 2002

Hi Mac,
            Found that avi thing in dvd2svcd. Only thing is my besweet crashes while encoding the audio.
            Trying to figureout what has gone wrong.
            KETAN

Comment

• KETAN
              • May 2002

Hi,
              Again when I encoded sound at 48000 frequency it gave horrible noise but besweet did not crash. Picture quality is also very good.
              Now only issue to resolve is to get a goo audio. I do not wish to capture audio seperately and then merge it. It would be very cumbersome and hence be my last choice.
              Thanks

Comment

• Mac Sidewinder
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Apr 2002

Post the log file and maybe we can figure out the audio problem. When you said it gave horrible noise - was this on the computer or standalone player?

Mac

Comment

• KETAN
                  • May 2002

Hi,
                  When I am in the process of capruring I hear correct sound.
                  But when I play the captured AVI or the SVCD what I hear is like listening to the radio without catching proper station...excessive treble and noise.
                  I will reach home after say 5 hours then I shall send the log file to you. I am at GMT +4.
                  With this output I have not ventured to make the svcd and play on the dvdplayer. Though I tried to play the cuefile on pc through demontools and powerdvd with the same results.
                  Thanks
                  KETAN

Comment

• Mac Sidewinder
                    Platinum Member
                    Platinum Member
                    • Apr 2002

If you go to www.doom9.org and look on the title page you will notice that there is an update to besweet (now v1.4b4). You might want to get this version and replace the version in your dvd2svcd package. If it has an install program, simply install it to the same directory that it appears in now. If it don't have an install program, just copy the files over the old ones in the same directory.

Mac

Comment

• KETAN
                      • May 2002

Thanks but my problem is astep before that is captured sound itself is not right.
                      So I am trying to figure out what is going wrong in capturing the sound.
                      To make an svcd what are the specifications of sound file? Does it need 44100 16 bit stereo only or something less will do?
                      By the way, picture quality is excellent.
                      Thanks
                      KETAN

Comment

• KETAN
                        • May 2002

I have duel boot on my PC. So far I was working on XP. I installed the capture device on the 'ME' ( this OS I have kept for only games ) and tried to capture the sound which surprisingly came out well.
                        So there seems to be some mismatch of the XP drivers.
                        I think I should be able to get thru now.
                        Thanks for the support.
                        KETAN

Comment

• Mac Sidewinder
                          Platinum Member
                          Platinum Member
                          • Apr 2002

No problem - glad to help. I do alot of dv video to svcd so just ask.

Mac

Comment

• KETAN
                            • May 2002

Hi Mac,
                            So far so good.
                            Now a step ahead.
                            While capturing through virtual dub at 480x572 resolution (recommanded for svcd) AVI 4BG restriction allows me to capture 7-8 minites of film. so 30 minute of SVCD needs appx 16GB of AVI.

Now as you said DVD2SVCD accepts AVI as input, which is 7 minutes at a time and comes out as cue file. So at the end I am left with 8-10 cue files, which are not serving the purpose.

So I feel that I should work on the standalone CCE 2.62 and get Mpeg2 as the output. This I should try to burn of Nero

The only question is can I merge these 7-8 minute mpegs and make a larger one to fill one SVCD? If yes, then how without compromising the quality. I guess there will be a way thru Tmpg. But if you pass the CCE generated mpeg thru Tmpg, will it sacrifice clarity?

Thanks

Comment

• Mac Sidewinder
                              Platinum Member
                              Platinum Member
                              • Apr 2002

Click on this link and read this thread on the doom9 webboard. It shows a couple of different ways to take multiple avi files and frameserv them to cce to produce a single video output.

Just remember that your video clips must be named like they show in the examples so that vfapi knows that they belong together. Like I said, there are a couple of different ways shown so maybe one will work for you.

Mac

Comment

Working...