• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeylikess99
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Sep 2003

dvd upconverting

hi there folks, i have a question regarding play back of dvd movies using a samsung home theatre system 2.1 and a toshiba regza 42 in tv. i know this tv can play in hd because ive watched normal cable in hd, and it was nice. what im wondering isdo i need to do anything special to watch a dvd movie in upconversion?. the movie doesnt look bad, but clearly not at 1080. can anyone help with what i would need to do? i do have it hooked up with an hdmi cable. tyvm in advance.
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

ur dvd plyer should have option for upconversion. u need HDMI for that [ur using that]
    u'll not get same picture quality as real HD. but somthing better then what ur SD-DVD is. still some dvd's comeout better then other when upconverted.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• mikeylikess99
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Sep 2003

upconversion

Originally Posted by atifsh
      ur dvd plyer should have option for upconversion. u need HDMI for that [ur using that]
      u'll not get same picture quality as real HD. but somthing better then what ur SD-DVD is. still some dvd's comeout better then other when upconverted.
      hi art, well , the manual says when hdmi is connected thats its auttomaticcally done. does the actualy dvd haveto be in certain ratio etc.. or willan avi converted to vob do as well?..not sure here.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

The thing to try would be upconverting DVD player output vs. the inbuilt upconversion capacity of the HDTV. Likely your cable box has an upconverter.

You might try buying an upconverting DVD player from a store with a liberal return policy and just compare. If the DVD player doesn't do it for you, bring it back.

Comment

• mikeylikess99
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Sep 2003

hi miles, ok here is the theatre system i have.

Shop Sears for appliances, tools, clothing, mattresses & more. Great name brands like Kenmore, Craftsman Tools, Serta, Diehard and many others.

im wondering if i didnt do something right on my end......

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

I'm just going by what others have posted but it's my understanding that HDTVs with upconverters will do the conversion themselves if you input an SD signal.. 480i. I didn't
            see anything in the ad about upconversion.. just progressive scan. I know I tried my TV with a progressive scan DVD player first. It was nothing to blog about. However the OPPO player I got looks really good outputting 1080i .. the player doing the upconversion.

It looks like the audio capabilities of that setup are good but no upconversion kind of leaves it lacking. I haven't seen that much HDTV so I'm no expert. I'd like to see the output of some of the newer Philips players that upconvert for $50 to compare, but the OPPO player was cheap when I bought it. Seeing as how upconversion is there for less than $100 I'd shop around. Or go to the Samsung site and see if they have a user forum. Maybe somebody can tell you what its limitations are. Also Videohelp.com has
            a DVD player list with user comments that are very helpful.

Comment

• mikeylikess99
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Sep 2003

hi miles, apprantly the link i supplied, isnt giving the correct one. ill try it again, hopefully this one shows you the ht-a100 which is the one i bought.

Shop Sears for appliances, tools, clothing, mattresses & more. Great name brands like Kenmore, Craftsman Tools, Serta, Diehard and many others.

i belief i got it going, maybe not crystal clear, like 1080, but it shows 1080 capabilties. in order to be able to acheive the 1080, does the video source have to be at least 720x....maybe this will help me clarify some issues as i dunno that the sources i tryed were 720. i dont even know if an avi is capable of converting to 720 or better?anyone. thanks a lot for the info to.

Comment

• atifsh
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2003

ur last link does say its upconverting to 1080, but u have to find if its done with some button as in philips iv used. or somwhere in menu that u have to enable.

regarding ur other question if u can upscale any format, i dont know, u have to test if ur player is doing upscaling to just dvd's or avi's also.

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Sep 2003

ur last link does say its upconverting to 1080, but u have to find if its done with some button as in philips iv used. or somwhere in menu that u have to enable.

regarding ur other question if u can upscale any format, i dont know, u have to test if ur player is doing upscaling to just dvd's or avi's also.
                  hi at, thought it was an upconvertor, im really enjoying the audio, for a 2.1 it easily blew away any of the ones i heard that were 5.2- 7.1. crazy i thought. sounds exactly like been in a theatre. guess i need to research the capabilty of this dvd unit. too bad theres no previous owner comments of all the places ive checked. it be nice to just find a program that will convert and dvd to hd or say anything over 750x.......that person would be rich fast!! if anyone else finds more info on this, id sure appreciate any feedback.

Comment

• atifsh
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2003

for a 2.1 it easily blew away any of the ones i heard that were 5.2- 7.1
                    uv herd wrong 5.1 and 7.1 systems budy

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

You could also try Samsung on the web and see if they have a forum. You might get some useful tidbits. As example my old HP PC has Pentium 4 that would overheat and lock up.
                      Turns out there was an "undocumented" BIOS setup key that let you into the page where you could set the threshold for fan speeds. Now it just gets loud instead of halting.

Somebody on the HP forum told me about the BIOS setup key. It certainly wasn't in the user manual!

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

btw afa the upconverting formats, usually these DVD players will upconvert 480i or 480p DVD input or divx/xvid if it is DVD res or lower. Ironically if you have an .avi from an HD source that is say, 720p then it won't play at all. You need to resize or convert it to a DVD
                        except for players that specifically handle HD Divx/Xvid resolutions. Weird eh? So far I don't think there are that many HD Divx players out there.. but that should change soon.

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Sep 2003

uv herd wrong 5.1 and 7.1 systems budy
                          sorry meant 5.1 7.1....just outta curiousity..has asnyone had an experience with topaz labs, apparantly they claim to enhance video.

Comment

Working...