An unexpected plus with VelociRaptor . . .

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mens_sana
    • Mar 2006

An unexpected plus with VelociRaptor . . .

Some time back, Blutach kindly informed me that my video burning problems were likely caused by burning at too fast a speed. He was right! I cut it down to 6x and 8x and the burns came through clean.

The PLUS...I upgraded to the WD VelociRaptor (on the recommendation of Tim "The Toolman" Taylor). It loaded Windows XP Pro SP2 in 27 minutes and restored a 92GB Acronis image in 63 minutes.

Then I tried burning some videos. I had had problems (stuttering, freezing, artifacts) only when burning from .iso or VTS to DVD (mpeg and wma were always good). With the VelociRaptor, I can burn perfect DVDs at 16x, the max my current burners and discs will handle, using either Nero Vision 5 or Ashampoo 8.

Just thought I would pass it along — seeing as I wasn't expecting it atall atall.
    Q6600 2.4Ghz; ASUS Striker Extreme
    3GB DDR2; EVGA 8800GTS
    WD VelociRaptor 300GB C:\; 2 WD Caviar Black 1TB: F:\ & G: ; 1 Seagate 1TB 31000340AS H:\
    Samsung SH-202N & 203N
    XP Pro
    LG L226WT monitor
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Your physics/logic is questionable, as is toolman's

With buffering even a sequential minimum transfer rate of 40 MB/s far exceeds the 23MB/s max required by 16 x burning

Comment

• mens_sana
      • Mar 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
      Your physics/logic is questionable, as is toolman's

With buffering even a sequential minimum transfer rate of 40 MB/s far exceeds the 23MB/s max required by 16 x burning

http://www.storagereview.com/WD3000BLFS.sr?page=0%2C1
      My physics will always be questionable and my math is miserable. Perhaps my logic is also missing a link or two, but the fact of the matter is that when I was using the Seagate 320GB ST3320620AS with Nero Vision 5 to burn at 16x on either my SH-S202N or SH-S203N, I was getting periodic stuttering, pauses, and freezes. The only way I could manage a consistently good burn was by cutting back to 6x or 8x. With the VelociRaptor, I have no burn problems at 16x, even on TDK, HP, or Memorex blanks.

As a disclaimer — I am not and never have been employed by Western Digital or any of its advt agencies, nor do I have any relative or significant other in the position of having done so.
      Q6600 2.4Ghz; ASUS Striker Extreme
      3GB DDR2; EVGA 8800GTS
      WD VelociRaptor 300GB C:\; 2 WD Caviar Black 1TB: F:\ & G: ; 1 Seagate 1TB 31000340AS H:\
      Samsung SH-202N & 203N
      XP Pro
      LG L226WT monitor

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

I have an original raptor(37 gig model) and a 250 sata seagate, done extensive testing where I had nero and image burn race, dual burning with imgburn and a few others. In each burn I was using a seperate set of files on the raptor and the seagate to burn at the same time on my 2 pata standalone master dvd burners at 16x

The only problems I have had was with highly fragmented files, I have had more issue with avi playback and the seagate

More often I have noticed a slowing of video authoring where a set of files on the raptor are being basically moved to the seagate, even then the longest that ever takes is 3 minutes which is way faster than a 16x burn

Comment

Working...