Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adamzohan
    • Aug 2008

help: sending huge files

I have series of files that needs to be shared with friends. They're more than 1G and I'm looking for a more accessible way to share those files. Can someone help me find reliable software/means to upload different files for free?
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

burn to dvd and mail them
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Wombler
      Affable Wanderer
      • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by adamzohan
      I have series of files that needs to be shared with friends. They're more than 1G and I'm looking for a more accessible way to share those files. Can someone help me find reliable software/means to upload different files for free?
      There are plenty of sites that allow you to upload large files and provide a secure downloadable link.

Do a search in Google for 'send large files'.

Alternatively upload it to your own webspace or that of a friend.

Wombler

Comment

• ed klein
        Banned
        • Mar 2004

Nobody wants to download huge files especially on a dial-up connection.

I have my inbox set to a size limit on incoming mail, anything past that limit gets directed into file 13. Better know as junk mail and deleted, don't care to set and wait for large download files.

As was said before CD/DVD and mail.

Netflix loves that idea
        Last edited by ed klein; 12 Aug 2008, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• locoeng
          Who Farted?
          • Dec 2005

Get a rapidshare account and upload them there.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
          Walt Kelly

Comment

• Gary D
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2005

WinRAR the huge file and split it into 200 MB chunks using winrar. Then you can upload it free using rapidshare
            Gary D

Comment

• browneye
              jack of all trades - master of some
              • Mar 2007

Search for FTP host sites. Sites such as fileshare.com come up the FTP software is sort of like p2p type of software, it can run in the background, and be stopped and re-started. I was playing around with some free FTP software before but had no real use for it, so I forgot just where I got it or the name of the program. Some sites have a 30 day free trial.

Comment

• paglamon
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

WinRAR the huge file and split it into 200 MB chunks using winrar. Then you can upload it free using rapidshare
                I second this option. You can also try out HJSplit.
                sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• atifsh
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2003

guys....
                  1: series of files
                  2: assuming total is 1 gb [could be more]
                  3: how many have decent upload speeds [he has to upload first]
                  4: his friends have to download [how many friends] [do they have faster connections]
                  Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Wombler
                    Affable Wanderer
                    • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by atifsh
                    guys....
                    1: series of files
                    2: assuming total is 1 gb [could be more]
                    3: how many have decent upload speeds [he has to upload first]
                    4: his friends have to download [how many friends] [do they have faster connections]
                    Connections fast enough to do this are common here in the UK.

I can download 1GB in around half an hour (or less if my connection is running flat out).

Wombler

Comment

• ed klein
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2004

Here in the mid-west USA typical speeds for a dial-up connection and prices.

36000 bits per second or 36k, mine runs at 36000 to 37296.

That means that a 8 MB download software program takes approximately 35 minutes to download. And the price is $9.95 per month unlimited usage.

Far different than early stated 1 GB download at approximately 30 minutes.

Comment

• pampashop
                        • Aug 2008

For me adam,,, your best option would be http://www.FlyUpload.com . It should let you send up to a maximum of 2GB worth of file for free. Aside from having to send it via email, you can also share the file and add them to your myspace, facebook and other social networking sites. Here's the link on how to use it. http://www.flyupload.com/tutorial

Try it.. You'll see

Comment

• Wombler
                          Affable Wanderer
                          • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by ed klein
                          Here in the mid-west USA typical speeds for a dial-up connection and prices.

36000 bits per second or 36k, mine runs at 36000 to 37296.

That means that a 8 MB download software program takes approximately 35 minutes to download. And the price is $9.95 per month unlimited usage.

Far different than early stated 1 GB download at approximately 30 minutes.
                          That's for dial up not broadband.

I know the US is a lot further behind than here but in the UK about 90% of the people that have Internet access use broadband and those that choose not to tend to be those with very light or infrequent usage.

At the moment I have an 8Mb/s connection which I've had for a few years now but the national telecoms operator here is currently upgrading all the telephone exchanges in the UK to ADSL2+ which supports up to 24Mb/s.

They're doing my local exchange next month and I can hardly wait.

Wombler

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

You can get multiGB web hosting with FTP access pretty cheap these days. Just make sure the FTP server supports "resume". Get your friends to chip in for the hosting fees or find one that lets you try it for a month free. You should be able to find something with more
                            disk space than you'll ever use for around $10/month.

Comment

• adamzohan
                              • Aug 2008

thanks everyone. I tried www.FlyUpload.com and it worked perfectly! Exactly what I'm looking for.

Comment

Working...