• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

The Blu-ray Disks

Since the Sony rootkit scandal in 2005, people have become increasingly
    aware that studios do not respect consumers' privacy rights.

One current example of this lack of regard is a much ballyhooed feature
    now being offered on certain discs called BD-Live, a feature that to a
    certain extent had been established already in the now defunct high
    definition format, HD-DVD. The apparent intent of BD-Live is to download
    several megabytes of additional content other than the main movie, such
    as "extras" or "audio comments", over an online connection. However,
    these extras are features that consumers should have expected to find on
    their costly Blu-ray discs in the first place. After all, 50GB allows
    for a lot of space on this medium for special features.

Adding to consumers' confusion is the fact that
    a significant number of Blu-ray players do not provide the option to
    disable BD-Live at the user's request: the supposedly extra Blu-ray
    content fires off and automatically downloads without asking the user's
    permission. And so, many film fans are left to sit--shocked, puzzled,
    and bewildered in front of their television sets--oblivious to the
    reason why it is taking so bloody long for the film to finally begin
    playing.

The upset consumer is left to rightly ponder why her expensive equipment
    is taking a foolishly long time to "do Blu."

One can only presume that the primary motivation behind this farce is
    "getting closer" to the customer, or, in other words, the studios would
    like to know exactly how often and when their disc buyers are looking at
    which film.

When we took a closer look at the first of these disk types we were absolutely
    dumbfounded. Sometimes the films actually contacted the manufacturer and did
    so with the user not knowing about it or even being in a position to recognize that
    a download connection was taking place. I assume that a significant percentage of
    these film buyers don't know what to make of the little BD-Live logo on the package
    or even recognize what that logo implies.

In other words, hardly anyone expects that a Blu-ray disc makes a
    `telephone call home' while it’s being played. The circumstances and
    manner whereby unwitting consumers are maliciously and insidiously
    eavesdropped upon might get the attention of data, security and/or
    personal privacy experts in some countries eventually.

Last edited by ed klein; 28 Nov 2008, 05:51 AM.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

On HD DVD, there's usually a "cancel" button when the Internet content is loading to skip the process.

But I've always wondered if it's possible to have a Blu-ray virus, because downloaded content can be executed with BD-J, and BD-J can pretty much do anything within the Blu-ray system (the simplest would be to display a screen saying "you've been hacked" and then forcing the user to reset the player before it goes away).
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

2 things were mentioned here. An online connection downloading BD-Live and a television viewer waiting to see why the film is taking long to play. Do you mean that your tv is hooked up to the net? I'm not too keen on all the ins and outs of this whole thing, but unless the tv is directly connected to the internet how in the world can something be shipped back to the Big Boys for info on when and how often the buyers are watching the discs? You have your pc hooked up to your set to view downloads of Blu-ray? If so then why mention discs at all? Please elaborate further if possible. Thnx.

@ admin I figure I'd update you on my LCD monitor. Acer returned it back and it's working like a charm. You were right the DVI-D connection had nothing to do w/it not working. Also I'll be ordering a 2.1 speaker set for my build. I'll leave the 7.1 for later when I dive into a nice HDTV.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

With a profile 2.0 (BD-Live compatible) Blu-ray standalone player, when playing titles with BD-Live content (downloadable content such as additional clips, trailers ...), the player will connect online and download certain updates for the disc to ensure all the BD-Live stuff works properly. On the computer or PS3, the wait for the download and installation isn't too bad as the computer has a faster connection with faster processing, but on a standalone, you could sit there for 5 minutes before the movie's menus will load. On HD DVD, there's usually a "cancel" button to cancel this update process.

@dr_ml422: Good to hear that your LCD monitor problems have been solved.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

The 2.0 BD-Live compatible has to be plugged into a internet connection though correct? What's throwing me off is the mention of a standalone which is plugged into a wall socket or surge protector to operate. You mean that via a 2.0 connection on your pc you could watch the BD-Live content w/out an additional power supply. I guess it would be plugged into the 2.0 connection and an electrical outlet as well?

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• ed klein
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

@dr-ML422

On a standalone hardware Blu-ray player profile 2.0 and up as far as connections you would need.
            These connections are on the backplane of the Blu-ray unit.
            1. 115V AC power
            2. telephone line or high speed internet connection
            3. HDMI cable to your HDTV

I don't plan on using BD-live, I build my homemade compliant Blu-ray structures on BD-5, BD-9, BD-R, BD-RE and play them to the HDTV thru HDMI cable.
            The Blu-ray player has to be capable of playing homemade compliant Blu-ray structures on BD-5, BD-9, BD-R and BD-RE, and not just commercial Blu-ray ROM disks built on 25gb and 50gb.

Last edited by ed klein; 29 Nov 2008, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Thnx ed. I knew there had to be a internet and power supply connection some where. You had me going a lil when I thought these guys could get you straight through the wall socket. I know it sounds far fetched, but anything's possible nowadays. I guess there would be 2 HDMI connections. 1 to the pc and 1 to the HDTV? Or does the player itself can be hooked up directly to a high speed internet connection bypassing the pc? Just a quick thought on that. Thnx.

Comment

• ed klein
                Banned
                • Mar 2004

@dr_ml422

I am not sure, but I think we might be talking about two different things.

Typical hardware hi def standalone Blu-ray player would be the connections as we have talked about.

Typical software hi def player like a media center PC, would have a software program something like PowerDVD ultra and would play the movie thats already ripped and on your hard drive, created as an ISO image. Your high end graphics card on your computer would have an HDMI connection to your high end computer screen or possible an HDTV.

Myself, I am not into hi def software players or media center PC's. From my viewpoint there are way, way too many problems with hi def software players with every update adds more problems. Typical example might be you used to be able to play the Blu-ray structure on your hard drive as BDMV folder and CERTIFICATE folder, now you have to create an ISO image of the ripped movie so the hi def software player will play the movie. And with every Blu-ray copy protection change comes more problems for the hid def software player.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

I was just confused and didn't know you could directly connect a standalone Blu-ray player to a internet connection w/out hooking it up to your pc. Now I understand. Wow. I'm backed up here a ways for sure.

Comment

Working...