X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaProphet1292
    • Mar 2009

Converting Videos

Hi,

I have several questions about converting videos.

1. If I convert a .vob video file that I ripped from a DVD to a more common format like mp4, will I loose the menus, if I loose those I can't select english subtitles, right?.

2. Is there a point for me to convert the videos despite the size difference and the fact that there will be only one convenient file?

3. After I convert the video will there be a significant quality loss if I convert to mp4?

4. Plus, if I convert the individual vob files to .mp4 can I later combine them to form one file?

5. If I rip the dvd straight to my hardrive in mp4 without ripping them as a vob then converting them, would that be better, why? Would I still have the menus and subtitles? How would the quality be?

Thanks
    Eric
    Last edited by DaProphet1292; 5 Mar 2009, 03:46 PM.
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Hi Prophet,

Answer to your Q's ...

A1: DVD To MP4 ... you need to "Hard Sub" your Subtitle into the MP4 ... and it can be done.

A2: If you are trying to watch your DVDs on an iPod ot iPod like player ... then there is a point of converting. But other than that lot of time wasted for conversion.

A3: Depending on the your Conversion Criteria ... your Set-up ... you can encode at High Bitrate and Quality will not really suffer ... at least you won't be able to tell ... but what is the point of converting to MP4 if you will keep your bitrates way high ... you will end up with a huge file.

A4: You are best to combine your VOBs first and then Convert to MP4 or .AVI or whatever. For combining your VOBs ... when you are saving your DVD to your Hard Disk just choose NOT TO devide Your VOB and keep it as ONE LONG one!

Please Read Forum Rules and "EDIT" your post so you are NOT breaking the Forum Rules.

If you don't Edit your existing Post your Thread is most likely will be LOCKED!

Hope the answers helped you some!

G!

Comment

• Joetronics
      joetronics
      • Jan 2007

Not quite related to the original subject, but does anyone happen to know if there is software that can be applied to IFO/VOB files that will up-convert the current video to a better video quality - not going over the 4.3 gig limit for a DVD disc burn......

Kinda like the upconverting that happens in a HD DVD Standalone Player.......

Comment

• gonwk
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Joetronics
        Not quite related to the original subject, but does anyone happen to know if there is software that can be applied to IFO/VOB files that will up-convert the current video to a better video quality - not going over the 4.3 gig limit for a DVD disc burn......

Kinda like the upconverting that happens in a HD DVD Standalone Player.......
        Hi JoeTronics,

I typed out your response yesterday but my Internet connection dropped out ... I guess the page it did not get registered it ...

Anyway, I don't know about "Up-Converting" ... if your source is lousy ... you are only up-converting more of the same ... however the Video Encoders have improved in last few years and they can clean up some of the mess so the speak.

A program that does that ... re-encodes your Original Video to smaller size but keeps the Clarity and Colors intact is DVD Rebuilder ... there is a Free version and of course the Pay version which is well worth the one time pay and it works really good ...

See if this is what you were asking for!

G!
        Last edited by gonwk; 27 Apr 2009, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...