Multi-cam Project 'Look' Dispute - Shakycam or No?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magestyx
    • Aug 2009

Multi-cam Project 'Look' Dispute - Shakycam or No?

Hello all. This is my first post here.

I'm expanding my business to include video production and have taken on a couple partners to do so. My partners are quite a bit older than me and have much more experience in business, clients, and design work, but I have more experience with programming, animation, and (limited) video. I'm by far the one who's the most interested in doing video and feel like I'm the one with the 'vision' of how things should be done-- but they're older and wiser on so many levels.

So far we're in the process of shooting two test projects to start our demo reel, but we're having a fundamental disagreement on some video production techniques-- one of which is the setup and shooting of the various cameras. We have 3 or 4 cameras going at any one time, and my partners insist that one of them be handheld/shoulder mounted for that dramatic, subjective look that is so popular these days. To me, having 2 or 3 tripod cams with 1 mobile just looks terrible. We're shooting calm subjects, one of which is instructional/educational of an artist's drawing technique. I've been trying to find a webpage that explains camera movement connotations to prove my point but so far everything I find just explains the technical terms like dolly, pan, tilt, etc.

I, being the editor, start switching between cameras and the mobile/shaky one in Premiere and it's driving me nuts on a number of levels. I try to hold the cam as steady as possible while we're shooting, but it still looks so different from the tripod mounted footage. In my opinion, camera movement is a -huge- part of the process, and only in a possible dramatic situation would we even want this technique at all. Personally, even though it's popular I don't care for the shaky-cam feel much anyhow, but it seems doubly strange to me using it in a 'classroom' feel even if we're targeting a younger audience.

Can someone please explain-- am I crazy and being too picky or does anyone else think that mixing camera movements like this is strange and/or unnecessary?

Thanks!
Working...