Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grant
    • Dec 2009

Suggest my next camera

Since about 2000 or 2001 I've had a Sony DCRVX2000, which I loved. My friends and I used to shoot short movies on it and we got a real kick that it looked as good as a lot of direct-to-video releases at the time. Unfortunately, the first time I watched the same videos on my HDTV, I was shocked at how crappy they looked. I mean, they're all right, but they should be better for a camcorder that I paid $2000 for.

It's time for me to switch to HD, I guess. I've been browsing sites like Cnet, but I think I need more tailored help.

I basically want the 2009 equivalent of the DCRVX2000. I want most of the options and, if possible, an interchangeable lens, but I got along pretty well without that before, so maybe that's not a must. Most of all, I want an HD image that whoops the DCR's butt, while keeping most of the prosumer-level options and in-camera tweaks. Also, I want to shoot videos with my friends again and get a kick out of how film-like the quality is.

And I want it to cost less than my DCRVX2000, too, if possible.
  • prostar
    • Dec 2009

The Sony FX1000 is the HD version of the VX2000, VX2100.

Comment

• Grant
      • Dec 2009

Good suggestion, thanks. Definitely bookmarking that one. Do they make something similar with a hard drive? I'm probably going to go Sony, but I'm not loyal to 'em or anything.

EDIT:

Your suggestion pointed me in a right direction. I think I'm swinging more towards the HDR-FX7 (if anyone wants to try and talk me out of it, it'd be appreciated), which has a lower price, but it doesn't have a hard drive either. I really, really hate tapes. I lost an important one once and it really sucked. I really just want something a professional documentary filmmaker wouldn't sneer at and something that works reasonably well in low light situations (the DCR worked okay in low light, it just got grainy).
      Last edited by Grant; 6 Dec 2009, 03:33 AM.

Comment

• prostar
        • Dec 2009

Hi Grant, the Sony Z5 is the professional version of the FX1000. It records on tape and the optional CF card recorder at the same time but a little bit pricy. If lowlight is more important to you, FX7 is not good in lowlight. Either FX1000 or Z5 is very good in lowlight. By the way, I have the Sony Z7 and love it very much. You can live with the FX7 if you have a very good lighting.

Jun

Comment

Working...