Ripping songs off of a 20 or 24-bit CD??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmrulz4u
    • Dec 2001

Ripping songs off of a 20 or 24-bit CD??

I was wondering if it makes any difference to me, in terms of degrading sound quality, if I rip songs off of a 20-bit or 24-bit/96khz CD, and then burn them on to another CD-R?? Basically, I want to make sure that I will be burning the EXACT same thing that's on the CD, and that the one I burn will be just as clean and loud and undistorted as the original? Also, do I have to adjust any of my ripping software setting before doing so? Am I just making a big deal out of 20 or 24-bit CDs and they're just the same as any 16-bit/44khz CD??

Any help or suggestions is appreciated)

THANKS
  • DirtyCzech
    • Jun 2002

i've heard of 24bit remastered CDs, but not of an actual 24/96 cd? you would need a cd player capable of decoding 24/96 in order to notice a difference, which falls within the standards of dvd audio. if its only a cd with 24 bit remastering then it doesnt make a differnce and could be reproduced no problem because the increase in the fidelity is done in the mastering process, but still manufcactured as 16bit 44.1 or 48 kHz. another thing to take into consideration is how your burn your audio cds. the best method is a console cd audio burner with optical input from your cd player. optical burning is the only way to burn a truely perfect cd because other methods such as digital coax, analog, etc you have interfearance from surrounding cables and devices.

Comment

• DirtyCzech
      • Jun 2002

oh yeah, i forgot to add that if you rip an audio cd to your harddrive its automatically converted to a .wav which has a compression of ratio of 4:1. its all numbers and i doubt you could notice a difference unless you have REALLY good speakers and stereo system.

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
        • Nov 2001

i thought cd's were limited to 16 bit?
        john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

• DirtyCzech
          • Jun 2002

CDs are limited to 16 bit and 44.1kHz or 48 kHz. 20 or 24 bit remastering is a whole different story. that is when the record company releases the analog final mix tape session to a mastering studio and then the mastering studio takes the analog tapes and its then recorded to harddrive most likely using protools. once on the harddrive its REmastered in 20 or 24 bit audio, but then since its manufactured as a CD its only 16 bit. when the sticker on the label says "24 BIT REMASTERING" in big shinny letters its mostly just for marketing purposes and i doubt anybody could find a difference in sound quality between an orginal cd and a "24 bit remastered" cd since they are both 16 bit. again, its all marketing, your not gonna listen to once of these "remastered" cds and act like "WOW.......THE SOUND IS AMAZING!!!!".

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
            • Nov 2001

.thats what i thought..i simply got confused when reading the other post..i also use pro tools..i was watching the video for the digi 001 and they also said something like that..i think i will watch it again because i think they said it wrong.
            john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

Working...