X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benedict
    Lord of the 4th Estate
    • Jun 2002

Help with calculators

I've noticed a lot of software on this site under the heading of "Calculators". Two questions before I start flopping aimlessly about downloading any of this:

1) A quick overview of just what these do and what inputs they need. I have an idea, up I'd rather get some info from those familiar with these before going at them.

2) What are the best ones? Which are easiest to use, ay least to start?

Note that I am interested primarily in converting (many formats) to DivX 5. I'm working largely with short clips (20 seconds to 10 minutes, none full frame) and have CD-ROM as my intended output medium. I am targeting perhaps 15 to 30 of these per CD along with other supporting materials.
    It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

1) They calculate bitrates of course, input: video playback length, desired filesize, and desired audio size/bitrate. Output: video bitrate. Some calculators will also give you the bits per pixel value, normally you want to select a bitrate close to 0.2 bpp.

2) Most advanced one GordianKnot, but it's a bit more than just a bitrate calculator. Advanced bitrate calculator is also nice standalone calculator, if you are useing a tool that doesn't come with it own inbuild calculator, like flask or virtualdub.

Home of the GordianKnot

Last edited by khp; 24 Jun 2002, 05:27 PM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• benedict
      Lord of the 4th Estate
      • Jun 2002

Pretty much what I was expecting (and hoping for).

I keep hearing about GordianKnot, so you've clearly given me another reason to check it out. Probably will try Advanced bitrate calculator also, as I'm doing lots with VideoDub so far. Aside from VDub, the only thing I spend alot of time with is something called "Fade to Black" (also freeware). If you haven't run into it, it does a lot of cut and paste video, mixes in stills, fades in and out moving overlays...all sorts of stuff if you are into creative video. Documentation isn't too good yet, but it's fairly easy to figure out how to get it to do some neat things. If you're interested, it's put out by Thoughtman Software.
      It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• benedict
        Lord of the 4th Estate
        • Jun 2002

UPDATE

I have installed abc Advanced Bitrate Calculator, DivX Calculator , and Equador's Calculator. Of these, DivX Calculator seems most uselful (easy) to me so far, but I haven't used any of these enough to really say any is better than the other.

My only problem has come with the Equador calculator. I get an MSCOMCTL.OCX error (Run Time 339: It or something under it is improperly registered) when I try to use the "Resolution/AR Calc" and "WAV Normalizer" functions. Otherwise, it works fine.

Has anyone else run into this, and, if so, do you have any idea on how to diagnose/resolve it?

Comment

Working...