Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miller
    • Jun 2002

i need download u/n n p/w help!

wen i try to down load it asks for a password in this site pleese tell me how to get it?
  • sarit16
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Dec 2001

For what site?

howdi there,

is it from this site, do u need a password and username? u shouldnt coz i dont need one, (Well it doesnt ask for one).

Let me know how u go.

Cheers

sksk

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

don't use a download manager.

Comment

• benedict
        Lord of the 4th Estate
        • Jun 2002

And if turning off your download manager doesn't work, you'll probably have to shut off your firewall for the download. I had to do both before I could get my downloads to work.
        It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• miller
          • Jun 2002

wats a firewall n how do u turn that off?

Comment

• benedict
            Lord of the 4th Estate
            • Jun 2002

Your average firewall (software) does two things:

1) It stops applications on your computer from accessing the internet without your permission.

2) [Most Important!] It prevents messages from getting into your computer that you did not request. When you click a link in your browser, you send out a request for data, and your firewall recognizes when that request is being answered. If you start an instant messaging program or perhaps a P2P, your firewall similarly recognizes those transmission to you as allowable transmissions and lets them through. For a general user, the firewall will detect anything outside of those and stop them dead in their tracks before they can get inside of your computer and perhaps do some mischief there.

I would guess that if you have control of your computer and the software that is installed on it, then you do not have a firewall. [This might be different if you are running Windows XP. I'm fairly sure they do have a firewall installed as a part of it, and if so, I'm not sure what its default settings are or even how to check them.]

There is however another possibility. If you are sharing an internet connection using what is called a "router", then it is entirely possible that the router comes with its own (hardware) firewall. If this is your situation, you'll have to ask someone else what to do, as I have no experience with them.

I hope this was helpful to you.
            It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• miller
              • Jun 2002

i have no idea wat u just said all i can get from wat was typed is that the firewall is some type of security system or something. so how do i turn this computers firewall of watever it is. are there many firewalls or just one. wats a p2p?

Comment

• miller
                • Jun 2002

o btw i have windows 98. not xp.

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

You shouldn't be prompted for passwords if you are not using a download manager to download files. The firewall thing is a completely different issue (won't result in password prompts, just a web page that says the download failed for some reason).

You only get prompted for passwords if you are trying to download a file using a download manager and our server is busy at that time - and this only should happen on our old file server, not the new one which should give you an error page instead.

Windows 98 doesn't come with a firewall, and unless someone has installed one for you, then you probably don't have one.

Check and see whether you have any web acceleration/web caching software installed (any software to speed up loading of web pages), and disable them.

Which software are you trying to download, exactly? Is it a file stored on divx-digest.tv and/or dvd-digest.tv?
                  Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• miller
                    • Jun 2002

thanks admin i really am thankful. n e ways i have a netsonic accelerator thing could this be the reason for a username password inquiry? n i was trying to download something of the divx digest-tv thing.

Comment

Working...