Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • colburn112
    • May 2002

computer wont play vcds

ok my friend has a comp and i installed a vcd player and the divx 311 alpha codec and divx 5.0 on his comp, but it wont play standard vcds? i dont know why but it works fine on mine any advice be4 i go over there tomorrow and look at it for him??? thanks in advance!!!!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) VCDs, which are modified MPEG1-format files, do not require DivX codecs (3.11, 5.xx, or any other).

2) What "VCD player" have you installed?

3) You should be able to play VCDs using Windows Media Player, by simply "dragging and dropping" the ".AVSEQ001.Dat" file onto the open Windows Media Player.

Comment

• colburn112
      • May 2002

yea i didnt think it needed the divx codecs but i did it neways cuz it woudnt work, but i didnt know about the dragging and dropping thing, thanks, but when he trys to play with VCD player by roxio, it says format unsupported if that helps, i havent gotten a chance to go look at it myself yet but hopefully i will tomorrow so anymore advice will be great, thanks alot setarip.

Comment

• colburn112
        • May 2002

ok ive tried jus bout everything to get this vcd to work on his comp but it wont, when i try to play it it says this crap
        Windows Media Player does not support this file type

Error ID = 0x80040265, Remedy ID = 0x00000000

The following table lists the file formats supported by Windows Media Player.

Format File name extensions
        CD Audio Track .cda
        Intel Video Technology .ivf
        Macintosh AIFF Resource .aif, .aifc, .aiff
        Microsoft .asf, .asx, .avi, .wav, .wax, .wma, .wmv, .wvx, .wmp, .wmx
        Windows Media Player skin file .wmz, .wms
        Playlist files .asx, .wax, .wvx, .wmx, .m3u
        Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) .mpeg, .mpg, .m1v, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .mpe, .mpv2, .m3u
        Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) .mid, .midi, .rmi
        UNIX .au, .snd

If the file you are playing is included in this table, then it may have been encoded using a codec that is not supported by Windows Media Player.

i dont know what the prob is the box is checked besides mpeg movie file under options, please help!!!!!
        i know it has to work i jsut dont know whats wrong with it.

Comment

• IOG
          • Jul 2002

I believe that you're using an old version of WMP. You might want to download the new version - it'll have VCD support.

And as for Roxio VCD Player - I've never heard of it, but it sounds to me like it's just an ActiveX wrapper for WMP playing VCDs

Comment

Working...