X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanielLee
    • Jun 2002

Digital Video to Hard drive

Hi,

I am brand new to Digital Video. I have a JVC GR-DVL805 and I want to save the video to my hard drive and then view it.

My system is Windows 98SE / 256 MB PC100 SDRAM / Maxtor D740X-6L 40 Gig 7200 rpm / 8MB STB Glidermax AGP w/Open GL video card.

Do I stand a chance of accomplishing my goal with what I have?

Any assistance appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Daniel Hallas
  • sarit16
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Dec 2001

yep u can...lot's of work needs to go into it but.

yes i just checkout a site with spec of your handycam but one thing u might need is a larger hard drive, u have an IEEE1394 DV (i.LINK) input/output terminal which is provided for fast, lossless digital transfer of video and audio to a DV-equipped computer or to another DV unit. There is also a PC connection and supplied serial cable for downloading captured still images to a PC (via RS-232 port).

Your handycam also has a Digital Still/DV Capture Still Output (for connection to PC's serial port) for photo transfer. but i.link mainly for video transfer to pc. Let me know how u go...personally i prefer using the usb port but im not sure if you have one, do you.

so u can use I.Link to transfer video, but try and get a bigger h/drive.

cheers

sksk

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
      • Nov 2001

it is not good to transfer video through a usb(although analog seems ok but not digital) and the hard drive is fine...just make sure you have or get a fire wire card for your computer...then the most important thing....let us check out your cool movies.
      john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

• sarit16
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Dec 2001

how come usb no good for digital?

howcome USB no good for digital johnbmx4christ , have u had an bad experience with it?

Cheers

sksk

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

howcome USB no good for digital johnbmx4christ , have u had an bad experience with it?
          USB has a very low bandwith (About 12mb/s) as compared to the IEEE 1394 interface (About 400mb/s). That translates into slow transfer speed and likely possibilities of dropped frames.
          Last edited by Enchanter; 30 Jun 2002, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
            • Nov 2001

.i just built a new puter..it has usb 2.0..i have not had a chance to try out my old usb cap card in it yet..i should try it and see.i have an ati radeon 8500dv now that works great and i use premier to edit.i did use my old cap card for analog video and yes it drops many frames but analog looked pretty good through it, but when i hook up the dv cam to the analog card it looks like crap.you kinda have to use firewire for dv.
            john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

Working...