Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oshadowo
    • Jul 2002

Problem With Windows Media Player 6.4

please look at this screen shot and look at the difference between wmp 6.4 and any other player that i use, and give any suggestions on how to fix please.

• Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Check that hardware acceleration in WMP 6.4 option is turned up to the maximum. Also, when you took the screenshot, did you take them simultaneously?

Comment

• oshadowo
      • Jul 2002

yes i took them at the same time and wmp is turned all the way up, someone suggested i change my display to 32 bit and that worked, but why would it not work in 16 bit when it has years

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

I take it that your movie is encoded with DivX 4.x (Not sure about 5.x). These movies don't display well under 16-bit colour indeed. Turning up the colour depth to 32-bit usually cures it. Apparently, WMP (All versions), PowerDVD and PowerDivX suffer from the same problem, but not BSPlayer.

Comment

• benedict
          Lord of the 4th Estate
          • Jun 2002

DivX 5 only supports color depths of 24 and 32.

It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• hippocampus
            • Jun 2002

But why does the problem not occur with BsPlayer + DivX 5 + 16bit, if 16 bit is not supported?

Comment

• benedict
              Lord of the 4th Estate
              • Jun 2002

The 24/32 bit thing came straight from the divx people.

As to your particular example, I can't really say, but I've also noticed that my different players occasionally treat the same video input differently. The case that comes to mind here is when Windows Media Player (and one other, either RadLight or DIXV, I don't remember which) could play certain videos that the rest wouldn't.

I finally tracked this down. It seems I had the codecs located properly (didn't even know I had them), but they had not been "installed". It seems those players have special coding in them to find (at least some) uninstalled codecs while the other players do not.

This may sound like a good feature, and on occasion it is convenient, but it can tend to lock a program into its internal code and prevent it from responding to changes that you make in its operating environment.

Anyways, I suspect something like this is at play in what you describe, but even at this, I'm just guessing.
              It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

Working...